By Anonymous - 26/10/2009 04:27 - United States

Today, my husband's daughter told us that she's 5 months pregnant. I'm going to be a step grandmother and I'm only 23 years old. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 132
You deserved it 48 289

Same thing different taste

Top comments

birds_fml 7

Let's say that, theoretically, the husband is not creepy old. The formula for the maximum difference in age without it being creepy is age/2+7. So, the oldest the husband could be without it being creepy is 32. If we assume that they JUST got married, and dated for more than a few weeks before getting married, I'd say the OP was probably 22 when they met, and the husband could've been 30 at most without it being creepy. So if the husband is now 31, then either he had his daughter at 15 and his daughter is 15 now, or maybe he was 16 and she's 14, or some other combination. Or he's a creepy old dude who marries younger women. Either way, YDI for either marrying an old guy, or for marrying a guy who had a kid when he was a teenager. You picked a classy guy, and so you get a guy with an obviously classy daughter. YDI.

Comments

I will not say YDI nor FYL. If you married a man older than you and your in love with each other it's ok, but before marrying you knew he has child so just be happy for her if she is at a reasonnable age to have children, you will not be a real grandmother anyway

Would be funny if the daughter turns out to be 21 and happily married as well, excited to start her family. Everyone here assumes she is a teenage ****...

To everyone who has a problem with age differences: My father is 49 and his wife if 27, he's is not a prevert nor is he creepy. Age is only a number, you are only as old as you feel. I am almost 20 and happily married, both, my step-mother and I, are trying to get pregnant :-) I know that I have a GREAT father and so will the child that they conceive reguardless of the fact that he is almost 50. Also, my sister turned 18 eight days before my step-mother turned 23 so it is not uncommon or creepy at all for older men to marry younger women. P.S. My ex-step-mother is 15 years younger than my father and my mother is 5 years younger.

Hey, good that worked out for you, but have you considered the fact that both men and women who reproduce at an older age carry the risk that their children might be born with physical or mental problems. it is not gonna happen in every case but they are more at risk, i dont need everyone bashing me on this because their dad had them when they were older, but am just trying to show the other side of the coin. having a baby is great, but if for tht joy you are risking the health of your future child then thats wrong, because the child has to live with it for the rest of his life, its just something people should consider. As for the other case, it worked well with you and it is ok with you, but there are a lot of people in society that arent, and it is their opinion, they have as much of a right to express it as anyone else. sure they should express it in a respectful manner, but for all those who are very openminded on this page and trying to tell others off, how come your open mindedness does not allow other people to have and express their own opinions?

I like this story. When you're a teenager, age is a big deal, but as you get into your 20's and so on it becomes more and more irrelevant. #199, with men, age is not an issue. The only issue is he may possibly become less fertile. And I don't know if it's everyone's only "open-minded" to their own opinions, but maybe more narrow-mindedness and prejudice is looked down on by those who have the decency to consider all the facts and not judge and condemn based on a short paragraph.

I agree with Marrajane. The reason there is a higher risk of mental or physical deficiencies is because the fertility and ability to grow a child is slowing down.

yes, but marrajane is wrong where he/she said that there is no risk to the child from older fathers, yes they are harder to concieve but even if they are concieved they are at a higher risk for psychological diseases like schizophrenia. I learnt this in my psychology class, where they went into factors that lead to some psychological illnesses. These arent made up by me, there are studies done scientifically that find this link. Am not trying to bash older fathers but if someone is considering having a baby they should look at all these factors and consider the risks as well. Lets face it the parents might love their child regardless of their deficiences but they cant always be there for the child, and it will be a lifelong hardship for the poor child. As for the thing about opinion and this is in reference to marrajane's comment, this is a public forum, everyone has a right to voice their opinion. No one needs to go around telling other people how to think. OP posted her situation on a public forum so they should expect that not everyone will be sympathetic towards their situation. If they are wrong by judging OP and people like her, then neither are you right by calling them close minded. Why do u expect everyone to be as "openminded" as you? Who made you the judge to decide how everyone should think. If they are wrong for judging her then you are wrong for judging them as close minded just from a small comment

You're kind of selfish, aren't you? Instead of looking for ways to help, you're whining because you're going to be a grandmother. If you're feeling trapped in the life you chose for yourself, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Huh......kind of got nothing to say to this. Just wow. It's not like you're the young one getting pregnant. If the daughter's pregnant then that's her issue to deal with. The most you can do is support her or if you wanna be really hating, you can just not do anything about it at all.

Here is the link that lists the risks, if anyone doubts the authencity of the website they can go and look up the individual studies/experiments if they want: http://www.mothers35plus.co.uk/older-fathers.htm

savrakekilled 0

if you're not mature enough to deal with things like these, you shouldn't have married someone with a daughter who's probably 6 or so years younger than you. YDI

DestineeSaysss 0

you deserved it for marrying a man with a daughter old enough to have children