By Anonymous - 26/10/2009 04:27 - United States

Today, my husband's daughter told us that she's 5 months pregnant. I'm going to be a step grandmother and I'm only 23 years old. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 132
You deserved it 48 289

Same thing different taste

Top comments

birds_fml 7

Let's say that, theoretically, the husband is not creepy old. The formula for the maximum difference in age without it being creepy is age/2+7. So, the oldest the husband could be without it being creepy is 32. If we assume that they JUST got married, and dated for more than a few weeks before getting married, I'd say the OP was probably 22 when they met, and the husband could've been 30 at most without it being creepy. So if the husband is now 31, then either he had his daughter at 15 and his daughter is 15 now, or maybe he was 16 and she's 14, or some other combination. Or he's a creepy old dude who marries younger women. Either way, YDI for either marrying an old guy, or for marrying a guy who had a kid when he was a teenager. You picked a classy guy, and so you get a guy with an obviously classy daughter. YDI.

Comments

You married into the wronggggggg family.

birds_fml 7

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

None of this is really her fault. Unless her husband is A LOT older than her.

So anyone who has a spouse die or gets a divorce after having children doesn't deserve to be married again? I don't get why it's dumb for someone to marry a person who already has kids. You are being unreasonable.

I have to say, I am in the same boat, except I will be 30 when I am a grandma by my step son. :( No fun at all. My hubby and I are 7 years different. Although, 23 would be a bit more freakier, why did you get married so young?

as long as she doesn't try to pawn it off on you.. lol..

YDI you didn't HAVE to marry the guy knowing his daughter could become pregnant. Besides, you're not even biologically a grandma. I don't see anything FML-ish here.

Hang on... knowing his daughter 'could become pregnant'? "Hey will you marry me?" "Can your daughter have kids?" "Erm... probably...that's a bit of... a weird...answer..." "Nope, I can't marry you. The idea that people might possibly reproduce without my written consent is just too horrifying for me to bear" Although you're right that there's no FML here on the OP's part. The daughter on the other hand has a severely F'd L now.

oh my lord, i nearly lost conciousness at your comment flying_vegan. too funny.

girlygirl666 0

I meant that she married him with the knowledge that his daugher is OLD ENOUGH to get pregnant, she should have considered the possibility of it.

The points made still apply @#145. "Has your daughter gone through puberty?" "Yes" "Sorry it's not going to work out. Theoretically, she could get pregnant & I can't risk being around her"

How is that an FML? :/ You have some serious issues if getting a granddaughter is FML for you :/

It would be an issue for me too. Maybe some people, who probably didn't really want the daughter to become their problem anyway, also don't want a granddaughter at the age of 23. I know I wouldn't be ready for it by a long shot. She may want to like, ENJOY her life a little before some (more than likely) kid sticks her with another kid because she's too young to take care of it properly herself.

teach09 0

@ 20: She shouldn't have married the guy if she "didn't really want the daughter to become their problem anyway". The daughter was part of the deal that she signed up for. I don't think this post is really FML worthy, because she DID sign up for the deal. If she wasn't ready to have grandchildren @ 23, she should have thought about that before marrying a guy who has a daughter from a previous relationship. and to all of those who say a step-grandchild doesn't really count, ya'll are stupid. I love all my grandparents, the biological and the "step". And I was never treated any differently then my "step"-sisters were by them.

Idk, I wouldn't want to deal with my man's family, most likely, but that isn't enough of a problem to keep us apart. Just because you don't exactly prefer to deal with every aspect of your significant other doesn't mean you shouldn't be with them.

There's a difference between dealing with your man's family (i.e. inlaws, siblings) and dealing with your man's child. If you're marrying somebody who has a child then you are agreeing to become a mother, not just a wife. If you're still at the point where you want to enjoy your life without responsibilities then don't get married.

Except its not even really her grandkid... just technically/legally but really who cares?

It doesnt matter biologically.... but it matters because a child changes the family family dynamic. And that effects not only the immediate family (i.e. mother/father of child) but also the extended family- including but not limited to the parents of the new parents. Being the grandfather's wife, she is now somewhat obligated to care about the goings on in her spouses family.

Way to miss the point. I was saying that people deal with things they don't particularly prefer to for their significant others. My boyfriends probably didn't want to deal with my PMS monthly. In fact, I'm quite sure they didn't. But it's part of me, so they did. And I disagree with you. The kid, theoretically, has two parents already. You agree to be a STEP-parent when you get married. My mom hasn't remarried, but her bf lives with us. I'd be incredibly, ridiculously livid if he thought he was now my father. I have one of those. He will never, ever be my father. Just like the OP will never be the girl's mother. She can, if they both want to, be a second mother of sorts, but it's no requirement. Also, I didn't say someone wants to live without responsibility. I was just saying maybe they didn't exactly sign up for taking care of someone else's kid like that. I'd be pissed too.

How is this not an FML? I think it's safe to say that the last thing parents want to deal with is a pregnant teenager. I agree that the daughters life is more ****** but I think OP's life is pretty ****** as well.

Who's to say the girls a teenager. I love how everyone is assuming this girl is a teenager, and, true, she might be, but she could be OLDER than the OP for all we know. Something for you to think about....

Depending on how old the guy is, the daughter doesn't even have to be that young. She could be in her 20's or older.

Your analogy doesn't really work at all. Unless your boyfriends were picking up chicks at the playground they were going to have to deal with PMS no matter who they dated. It was an unavoidable quality for them. There are plenty of men who do not have children, on the other hand, and if you're not prepared for the responsibilities of being a mother then you shouldn't marry a man that does. Notice how I said "a mother" in both of my posts. This is because whether you're the biological mother or the step-mother, you're still a mother. You may or may not take on all of the responsibilities that go with that, but you should be prepared to take on some of them.

rockyhorrorfan 0

If your stepdaughter is under age and planning to pawn the kid on you, then definitely an FML. If not, stop whining and celebrate the coming of a new family member, for god's sake.

TenebrificTurtle 0

If this is the case and Op wanted children, now she doesn't have to worry about stretch marks and losing 9 months of her life, at 23. She adopts it, and has a kid.

You are too young to be with a grandfather, even if he is in his mid to late thirties. You are wasting what's left of your youth.

adelaide_evening 0

Right. Even if she loves the guy, she's "wasting her youth". Because, no one would like to spend their prime years with someone they love.... Nope, she has to be a gold-digging bitch who's an idiot and throwing her life away. I'm glad we got that cleared up and everyone can look at this so rationally and non-judgmentally.

Agreed with #64. I'm only 20 and I wanted to have 2 kids by now...why? I dunno, my mother had kids young and I don't like the idea of being in my 50's when my kids are in high school. A lot of my cousins are in their mid 20's now and they have kids and they manage to maintain a perfect balance. Just cause #24 thinks you should be in your late 30's, probably have down syndrome children cause you waited so long and that's likely to happen when you're that age and have kids, and then be old enough to die of a heart attack and it not be weird before you're kids even graduate, doesn't mean the rest of the world see it like that. I think you marry who's right for you, and you have kids when it's right for you, and you become a grandparent when it's right for your child, or step child in this situation. You make your bed, then you lie in it.

ok.... this FML should be from the girl who got pregnant. I think her life is affected more drastically than yours. If you were not wanting to deal with the daughter and her problems you should have thought before getting involved with her dad, remember she was part of his life before you came along.