By sunny_ca559 - 03/03/2010 01:03 - United States

Spicy
Today, my husband admitted to me that he has a mental block about touching my boobs, because he's afraid that breast milk is going to spurt out at him. I had my son 5 months ago and I don't breast feed. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 607
You deserved it 4 116

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Anonnamus 0

Tell him you have a mental block against him touching your ******, because the last time he did, a nine pound person shot out if it.

I don't even know how to comment on this... I've heard of a milk fetish before but never a phobia of breast milk...

Comments

birds_fml 7

I wish I could get my husband to stop grabbing my boobs all the damn time.

I can't believe how many things I just read about breastfeeding that are completely false. Where are people getting this information? First, it is not just the colostrum that has antibodies and immunity boosting abilities. Breastmilk, even very mature milk, is a LIVE substance full of antibodies. It has the ability to cure minor infections as well. You can rub breastmilk on small lesions or even apply it to an infected eye. This is why it's 100% safe, and recommended, to breastfeed through mastitis. Not only will it help the mother heal faster, but the antibodies in the breastmilk prevent any infection from passing to the baby. I have had many breast infections, and I've nursed my daughter through all of them. Second, breastfeeding is absolutely responsible for raising a child's IQ. The fatty acids in breastmilk build the brain and help the eyes develop. This is a fact. Formulas are now being enhanced with fatty acids DHA and ARA, and while the IQ advantage is not as great as breastfeeding, the children fed this enhanced formula DO have higher IQs than those fed formula without DHA and ARA. Formula's ultimate goal is to be as close to mother's milk as possible. Obviously, it can't get any better than the real thing. There are still hundreds of components to human milk that scientists are unable to identify, let alone replicate. Third, how many women do you think would be "unable" to breastfeed if formula wasn't an option? Do you think they would let low supply keep them from feeding their children? Absolutely not. I have battled a low supply since the birth of my daughter. There are very simple measures you can take to increase supply, from eating oatmeal, to herbal remedies such as fenugreek, and even prescription drugs. Almost all women are able to breastfeed, formula is simply so available they switch after experiencing a minor setback or simply not having enough support. It is shocking how many benefits of breastfeeding there are. Breastfed babies are less likely to be obese, have heart disease, develop asthma, develop type 2 diabetes, and many more. This is not to say it's impossible to get these diseases if you were breastfed, only that your chances are lowered. Breastmilk has sustained the human race for thousands of years, to imply it's not good enough to feed your child is absurd. While a breastmilk allergy is possible, it is extremely rare, and overdiagnosed. Many doctors push formula the second the child has a complication while breastfeeding instead of looking to other options first. This is more common with older doctors because years ago formula was believed superior to breastmilk because it was the "scientific" way to feed your child.

And so when a child is having reflux and literally vomiting up everything they're fed, they should just continue through? That's one of the most common reasons that doctors switch the child to soy based formula with a little rice milk mixed in. Did you ever take the time to try and walk in another's shoes? I mean, just because herbal remedies and possibly prescriptions work for you, doesn't mean they work for every woman. And to those woman who absolutely can NOT breastfeed, and WANT to, your statements are basically saying they don't want to do it badly enough. Do you even see how wrong that is? Just because breastfeeding is YOUR best option does not mean it's everyone's option. Another close to home example: My younger step-sister was never breastfed because her mother was diagnosed with breast cancer fairly early on in the pregnancy. So my sister was born early, on the cancer floor, and her mother was taken away to start radiation and chemo. Her mom wasn't ALLOWED to breastfeed. Do you honestly think she didn't WANT to have that bonding time with her? That she didn't want to do as much as she could for her. I mean, she sacrificed her life for her. The cancer was so aggressive that by the time Kimmy was born, it had spread too far. Her mom ended up dying 9 months after she was born. I'd say she was just about the the least selfish person. Every time I do the Breast Cancer 3 day, I do it for her. She gave my little sister the life she wouldn't have had otherwise. Kimmy is smart, beautiful, and has no medical issues. She's finishing up her bachelors degree soon and then moving back to San Diego to find a masters program. We have a super close family irregardless of the fact that we aren't all blood related. I honestly fail to see where her life lacks just because she wasn't breastfed.

"Third, how many women do you think would be "unable" to breastfeed if formula wasn't an option? Do you think they would let low supply keep them from feeding their children? Absolutely not. I have battled a low supply since the birth of my daughter. There are very simple measures you can take to increase supply, from eating oatmeal, to herbal remedies such as fenugreek, and even prescription drugs. Almost all women are able to breastfeed, formula is simply so available they switch after experiencing a minor setback or simply not having enough support." Blabla. I've heard so much of this post hoc rationalisation, I'm really sick of it. First of all, in times when there was no formula available, there have been wet nurses, but also a high childhood mortality because it has NEVER been the case that (almost) every woman can breast feed. Children have been raised on all kinds of inadequate subsititutes at all times and have either lived through it or not. I have breast fed through a severe mastitis, 10 days of antibiotics i.v. , surgical removal of an abscess from my breast, and another mastitis. When another abscess had developed I gave up because really, I needed to get healthy again to be able to be there for my child. I had consulted a midwife and a breast feeding adviser to see whether there's anything I did wrong, but nope. I produced lots of milk, it just wouldn't come out ... neither through a pump (after 40 minutes of pumping I had produced 30ml) nor through the baby's efforts -- and the other not-so-nice side effect of it was that my baby was constantly hungry and crying. I had days where she clung to my breast almost non-stop and nights where she wanted to eat every hour, but she never got enough (and not much sleep either). Now tell me how that is so very awesome for a child, to be constantly hungry and tired, but too hungry to sleep. I think about everybody knows by now that breast feeding is the best for the babies, but is it really necessary to spread this bullshit about how every woman can breast feed? I have heard too many stories like mine to believe that. Post-hoc rationalisation (if you had done this and that, it would have worked out) are cheap. Please stop that crap.

How many women would be "unable" to breastfeed now if formula was unavailable, you ask? Certainly, fewer than there seems to be now, but still a significant percentage of women. Throughout history, infant mortality rates have been astronomically higher than in modern nations, due in a large part to starvation. Yes, infants were starving because their mothers did not produce enough breast milk. Certainly, babies still die today from a variety of diseases, but starvation deaths have plummeted with no small thanks to formula. Is it perfect? No. Is it better than letting a baby go hungry? Of course. Mothers who must return to work are faced with dilemmas. Pumping is an option, but does not work out for everyone. Pumps can be very hard on a woman's nipples, and she may not be at peak production during the times when she can pump at home. Should she try to pump at work, during her meal break, or suffer from painful engorgement while she tries to get her job done? Let's not forget that fathers also raise children. I'm referring a bit more towards single fathers, but much of this discussion seems to edge out men in general. Shall we declare men unfit parents because they cannot breastfeed? Or simply continue to insinuate that their emotional connection with their children is lacking, and that they are second-class parents because they cannot share that oxytocin-enhanced, nutritionally balanced experience with their child? Ever heard of PCOS? It's one of the more common conditions that cause hormonal imbalances in women, often resulting in infertility or limited fertility. This is also a side affect of having a prolactinoma, which is a small, benign brain tumor which presses on the pituitary gland. Women in these groups may have a chance at conceiving if they take medications which suppress their conditions, and help to regulate their hormonal cycles. However, these medications are also dangerous to infants, and often must be stopped during pregnancy, and most certainly must be stopped before breastfeeding. Unfortunately, that means that the woman's body will also revert to its former hormonal imbalance, which may include an inability to produce breastmilk. Don't mothers get enough guilt as it is? Yes, breast is best. But best isn't always feasable. I wish it was, but attempting to demonize mothers who are trying to do their best in an already overwhelming, stressful, and emotionally draining situation, will only alienate your message from the very people that you are trying to reach.

you should breast feed, and your husband is a pussy.

well u stillhave milk in them u idiot

@ Makeba: Babies can absolutely be allergic to breastmilk. There are a ton of medical reasons some mothers can NOT breastfeed. I mentioned a couple above. A big one is inability to latch on. And even if you're pumping, eventually, the milk is going to go. Also, the kids that get reflux are often switched, by their doctor, to soy based formula with a little rice cereal. Fun example: I have two half-brothers that are two months apart. One is from my mom and my step-dad, and one is from my dad and my step-mom. One was breastfed, one was not. The one who wasn't is FAR more intelligent and well-behaved than the one who was. He also excels socially and athletically, whereas my brother who was breastfed, does not.

Snickerdoodle: What are you going to do when you adopt? Let the baby suck on your dry saggy boob? You're a dumb bitch. Some women don't get breastmilk in even after they have their babies. You obviously have no idea what it's like to have a baby and be a mother. Grow up.

So what? Maybe he'll get a little milk on him. Big deal.

trinity1982 0

Breastmilk is the perfect milk for all babies, but is especially good for babies with reflux. Breastmilk is highly digestible so will not sit in the stomach, putting pressure on the sphincter and possible worsening reflux. It is digested rapidly so hopefully there is less milk vomited back up. The intake at each feed is likely to be less than via a bottle and vomiting is less likely therefore. (That said, each growth spurt produces and an increase in milk supply and very often an increase in vomiting.) Breastfed babies never get constipated, which really aggravates reflux. Breastmilk is hypoallergenic, although your baby may well react to foods YOU eat if you are breastfeeding. Cutting out dairy and soya made a HUGE difference to my twins when I was breastfeeding them - but you should never do this without the advice of a health professional. Caffeine in mum's diet can also aggravate reflux. It is easy to comfort your baby when distressed or in pain with a breastfeed. Breastfeeding soothes painful throats when a baby is suffering from reflux. The 4 month stage is often difficult. Babies at 4 months are undergoing huge mental and physical growth and awareness and wake more, are harder to settle and often wake when they previously slept through the night. (Although "sleeping through" is rare so young in BF babies, they are not designed to do this and your milk is at its best in the middle of the night when you are resting!) This is nature's way to ensure a strong mother-baby bond as baby is more aware of his surroundings and an adequate milk supply. Reflux often peaks at this time too, and it is often difficult to determine what is going on, and whether this is a perfectly normal developmental stage or aggravated reflux. Many mums misinterpret this phase and start solids at this time, and it is the reason for previously recommending weaning at 4 months. Introducing solids too early to a baby with reflux can also bring more problems. When your baby is a reluctant feeder A baby suffering from Reflux will be unlikely to find feeding a totally stress free experience and some may develop an aversion to nursing. This does not mean breastfeeding is being rejected, far from it, is means your child is telling you - by arching backs, crying, turning away, fighting you trying to latch them on - that they are unhappy about feeding full stop. Try adjusting their position, almost sitting them on your lap so they are more upright. Try feeding in a carrier, or whilst in a different position yourself. Wind your baby before starting feeding - babies with Reflux can have trapped wind at any time! This kind of behaviour around feeding is NOT normal and you need to get advice, and hopefully medication from your GP or local paediatrician to alleviate the discomfort your baby is suffering. Don't allow too long between feeds so the milk can soothe baby's throat frequently. Tips for Coping with Frequent Feeders Babies with Reflux need to feed little and often, and breastmilk is digested extremely quickly. You cannot feed too often; following your baby's cues is the best way to establish successful breastfeeding. Since breastmilk is a natural antacid, babies often comfort feed very frequently, so here are a few tips for coping Adjust your expectations First of all, remember that frequent feeding is normal and expected in the early months - most newborns need to feed at least 8 - 12 times per day. Frequent demand feeding is also needed to avoid and reduce engorgement in the early days, to establish a good milk supply, and to help a baby adjust to life in the outside world. from the LWR ( living with reflux web site )

Though some can try those tricks, when your baby is losing weight because they can't keep anything down, you don't have many options. You can't continue to feed them with a breastmilk that they can't keep down.

I had sex with a girl who had a 2 year old son who had never breat fed. to my surprise and discust I had the nastiest taste in my mouth of breast milk. I'm lactose intolerant so I don't even like the taste of regular milk I almost threw up on the girls ****. so I understand this guys fear.