By Anonymous - 08/06/2009 10:41 - Singapore

Today, my boyfriend of 4 years proposed to me. I wasn't expecting anything too romantic, but I would have liked something more than an email from Facebook, requesting my confirmation that we were engaged. FML
I agree, your life sucks 104 635
You deserved it 7 427

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comicmischief 0

The internet has taken over.

Oh wow. FYL. that's almost worse then being dumped via facebook, although I'm not sure. a lot of people are going to say ydi because you chose to date him in the first place... But I don't think anyone deserves facebook relationship status changes before real life relationship changes...

Comments

do u get to second base with a 'poke'?

33 has a good idea. Okay, this whole business of "at least he did..." nonsense is ludicrous. There is no such thing as "at least he proposed", as though the boyfriend deserves an A for effort and a cookie. Seriously. Those who think people should be happy with the crumbs people throw at them because they're better than nothing need to reexamine their standards. Also, the way Facebook is set up will have him appear as Engaged and the OP will have to accept to show he is engaged to her. If she declines, his status will remain as solely Engaged and hers will be unchanged. If their relationship was linked, then she will no longer appear as In A Relationship With Joe Blow; she'll be In A Relationship, and he'll be Engaged. So he has already shown his entire friend list that he's engaged *WITHOUT EVEN ASKING HER* So he's made a private moment very public, invited everyone into their business and essentially let potentially hundreds of other people know about the proposal first because the OP had to be online to see it and lord knows how long between his actions and her checking. The guy is a clod. A proposal requires putting forth a question-- not announcing an engagement for all to see prior to receiving an answer. Also, if she says yes, he's removed all possibility of the OP from calling friends and family and telling them personally, which is what most normal people who were raised properly would want to do.

uhm, break up with that guy. immediately.

What a idiot. Just email him back: "No, thank you. Not with you in this life". #46 LOL

Oh, this is really unfortunate for both of you. Is he really socially awkward? Because if he is, this may be the best you get. Maybe you should unplug his Internet for a bit. Tell him that interwebs proposals aren't as nice as IRL proposals.

el_bastardo 0

Came here for the predictable, materialistic & snarky "if there is no expensive ring involved than there is no engagement" comments. /Leaving with my lack of faith in females intact.

Mata_Hari 0

#77, there doesn't have to be an expensive ring involved, but a confirmation notice on FACEBOOK about a change in the relationship, something as big as an engagement or a dumping, it's better done face-to-face. (Thought at least it wasn't a text message; will u b my feeance?) FYL.

i resent insensitive unromantic guys.. *sigh* POOR YOU =/

cattoe7 0

so does he live in another country with no phone or stamps? the internet should not take over everyones way of 'communication' especially on something THAT important.. thats ridiculous.. instead of getting on myspace to write your cousin PICK UP A PHONE!!! its highly annoying