Time to retire

By Should Have Gotten It In Writing - 27/06/2023 06:00 - United States - Morgan Hill

Today, my boss accused me of pursuing a project without his permission that he "wouldn't have approved." I DID get his permission, but he has early Alzheimer's and doesn't remember. He gets upset when anyone suggests that he's misremembering, so all I could do was apologize for not doing something I definitely did. FML
I agree, your life sucks 853
You deserved it 81

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Does your boss have a higher-up? Can you collect evidence of stuff like this happening and bring it to them to cover yourself? It sucks for your boss that he’s deteriorating this way and all, but if it’s impacting his job and/or yours you need to take care of yourself.

So start getting everything in writing with his signature. That will eliminate some of the problem

Comments

You need to tell him you're the CEO now and you are calling the shots. He must have forgot about your promotion.

Does your boss have a higher-up? Can you collect evidence of stuff like this happening and bring it to them to cover yourself? It sucks for your boss that he’s deteriorating this way and all, but if it’s impacting his job and/or yours you need to take care of yourself.

So start getting everything in writing with his signature. That will eliminate some of the problem

Reminds me of the short-lived DILBERT animated series where someone had the foresight to record the Pointy-Haired Boss's voice authorizing a decision and played it back for him when he denied it. He responded, "I think that just proves I have a FINE speaking voice."

OP, the only good choice is to look for another job. But don’t quit until you get the job you need… In the meantime document everything important - Get boss to follow up with a text or email or voice message. My wife has memory problems (due to a stroke much earlier in her life) and like your boss she can be absolutely wrong about something she thinks she remembers but have no doubt of her version… By the way there are two different interpretations of your boss’s actions - Either they have memory problems they don’t acknowledge or they are a sociopath and you are being used. Either way you can’t “fix” you boss nor will you get his boss to acknowledge there is a problem because they they would have to admit having and keeping your boss in that position was a mistake.

YDI, As a professional you really need to have documents for anything that may fall into question. At least communicate through email so you have record. Probably would be useful for him as well.