By ismerf19 - 22/12/2010 00:05

Today, I was working in a restaurant. On the receipt under "tip" someone actually took the time to write out "$0.00." FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 447
You deserved it 7 362

Same thing different taste

Top comments

schwancy 2

People only do that when they want you to know they aren't tipping you because you did a crappy job.

lol... cheapskate... nice way to tell you you didn't work hard enough xD

Comments

Here's a tip: Find a new line of work. Now, there are a lot of cheapasses out there who just don't care, and that sucks, but they're not wrong for not tipping you. A tip is a gratuity, it's not mandatory, and it's not a guest's fault that you have a shitty job. In Europe, tipping isn't even an issue - they don't do it. Most people go into serving as a career, and they are paid well for it. I'm just a lowly citizen, and I don't know why the government does what it does, but to me, lowering a server's wages and saying that guests should tip them instead seems pretty effing stupid. I can't personally think of any other job where a person is paid lower than minimum wage and has to live based off tips, unless they are in an internship of some sort. I'm not saying that it was your fault they didn't leave a tip; if they had a bad experience, a lot of people don't know who to blame. You don't blame the hostess or server because your burger was well done but you asked for medium. They don't cut into your food to check it for you, and unless they wrote it down wrong or are a dick about taking it back, you shouldn't take it out on them. On the other hand, if I ask for no onions and you can clearly see them loaded up on the stick with the lettuce and tomato, it's totally the server's fault for not saying hey, this order was no onions. So, in conclusion, we really don't have the whole story with this post, but assuming you did your job properly and they were just asshats, fyl, and it sucks that you had some jerks seated in your section. Hopefully your hard work and cheery attitude will benefit you in the future. If you were a crappy server, then suck it up and do better next time.

Actually, the reason why they don't tip in Europe is because tips are mandatory and already included in the price, there. This is why the waiters there can treat you like sh*t in some places, knowing that regardless of the poor service they'll get the tip anyway, since it's included in the price of the meal. It's pretty much the same you mentioned, though it's not just that the salary is higher, it's actually that tip is counted as part of the prices. I come from Europe, and always found that system unfair for the customers, even if it's also difficult at first to get used to the US system where you have to remember to add the tip since it's not included. Incidentally, please don't let rude commenters like the one above discourage you from posting just because it's long. This site has so few intelligent comments, it's a tragic thing really.

iSitt 0

ydi for saying "So, in conclusion"

The college kids in my town do the same thing at my frozen yogurt place...cheapskates. 0_o ♥

Put a 1 in front of the first 0. Voila! $10 tip!

sourgirl101 28

Exactly! With all the Christmas purchases, I doubt they'd even notice the extra charge. Totally kidding. Not tip or no tip is worth losing your job. But you could look up their name in the phone book and throw eggs at their house. Shhh... Don't ask me any questions, I'm unable to answer.(:

Voila!! Credit card fraud. And the moment the person complains to their bank that they were charged more than they see on the receipt they brought home (some people actually have brains and balance their books, you know?), your manager will come raining fire down on you. Not only that, but on top of inevitably losing the job, you'll also have to deal with the police, since it will be reported. Enjoy facing criminal charges for such a stupid idea and a $10 theft. The level of imbecility of the garbage spewed in comments here as "advice" is ridiculous.

ohthebloodygore 16

39, it's also mostly sarcasm as sourgirl demonstrated.

Wow Moe, way to see the humour in things. I rarely tell people here to lighten up, but you're heavier than a 10 pound poundcake.

They could be just some bunch of real life trolls or cheapskates.

What's so bad about that? I do it all the time, though I usually leave a bit on the table. Maybe the dish guy grabs it, but I used to do dishes, and they deserve a burble coin too!

I'll put 0 if if I don't want them to have a tip or leave it in cash. Also I'll put the duplicate receipt in a cup or something.

amayaa_fml 7

sometimes people do that so you can't write in your own tip. don't take it too personally op :)

The thing of writing 0.00 as tip, I do this very often. Not because I'm a jerk, but simply because I give the tip in cash, either directly to the person or leaving it on the table. So of course, I have to write 0.00 in the credit card paper. (You're not supposed to leave it blank.) Sometimes, restaurant managers take some of the tip money that's supposed to be shared from the employees. It depends on the places, but generally I prefer to give the tip in cash so that the waiter/waitress can actually have a better chance to keep it or part of it, especially if they have a nasty manager. From the way you wrote the FML, it sounds like you work in the restaurant but aren't the actual waiter/waitress. Cashier or someone working with the accounting maybe? It might be that you saw the paper written 0.00 but the person left the tip in cash like I do. ...or it might be that service was really terrible. There's not many other ways for a customer to express their disapproval in a subtle way without having to call managers or make a fuss.

alaaloo_fml_fml 0

Ouch! The economy is in pretty bad shape! Or maybe you just don't provide very good service?

soldier4life_88 0

I think the service was crappy!!

alaaloo_fml_fml 0

50- Haha probably. Nowadays people just don't care.