By ismerf19 - 22/12/2010 00:05

Today, I was working in a restaurant. On the receipt under "tip" someone actually took the time to write out "$0.00." FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 447
You deserved it 7 362

Same thing different taste

Top comments

schwancy 2

People only do that when they want you to know they aren't tipping you because you did a crappy job.

lol... cheapskate... nice way to tell you you didn't work hard enough xD

Comments

djewel6 0

I dare say you musta really pissed them off although i find leaving a penny much more of a message. once I wrote in under tip "get a new job" haha

Lol. I usually write why the service sucked, when it's that bad =)

Well, won't be hard to mark that one down for your taxes.

this reminds me of the time when i was serving lionel richie at a restaurant i used to work for, he tipped me $100 and left me his his hotel name and room number. of course i meet him later that night, and it was magical

should have gave him a knucle sandwich on his way out :)

Tips are not mandatory. Expecting that the customer must be forced to pay or get beaten is the mark of thugs and violent idiots. If the service is bad, the customer is right not to give a tip. Tips are an extra on the side of the salary the waiter is being paid, they're a monetary gift. You don't give it unless it was earned.

These day in America servers are paid well under minimum wage because they get tips. They have made it so that waiters and waitresses actually do depend on tips to make money and therefore tips have become a requirement and not "extra". That's why as a general rule, if one can't afford to tip then they can't afford to eat at a restaurant. It's ridiculous, it's annoying, but it is the way it is.

That's also why some restaurants now automatically add gratuity into the bill. That and because it puts a stop to those people who go out to eat, sit for three hours, make a huge mess while they run up their $100 bill, and then leave a quarter for tip.

TheDrifter 23

And that's why I stopped going to certain restaurants. If I sit for hours waiting for my food I am certainly NOT of the opinion that the server deserves 10% of my bill automatically added to his/her wages. Yes they are paid under minimum wage on the expectation of tips, but their wage should be based on their competence, not the price of my dinner choice.

he was referring to the ******* tears who sit at the table drinking and causing trouble for hours at a time

If you wait for hours for your food it is usually the fault of the KITCHEN not the SERVER. This happened to me many, many times as a server and I would explain it and still get my tip :)

I can understand how annoying that must be for you (you busting your ass trying to do a good job and the kitchen failing you) and I usually tip very well, since I appreciate that waiting tables is a tough job. That said: at some point it's getting unfair to ask the customer to understand the problem - it's not the customer's concern why he got bad service. It would be better to get them some some freebies (if your restaurant allows you to do that) or to give the kitchen hell so they won't put you into that situation anymore.

I was not referring to people waiting for hours on their food. I was referring to the people who finish eating and then continue to sit at the table for another two hours or so. Just to clear that up because some people seemed confused. Think of the people who go to watch a football game at a restaurant and spend three hours or so getting wasted and making a mess.

twinny_sc 13

Hooters waitresses make good tips.

soldier4life_88 0

true statement!!! and they are mostly hot too!!!

What is with all the gender assumptions anyhow? It is not referred to in the least.

alaaloo_fml_fml 0

it can be inferred that the gender is female due to the fact that the protagonist was serving in a restaurant, a job highly occupied by females.

Actually it can not necessarily be inferred that the gender is female because 1. There are male servers, and 2. They said they were working in a restaurant, they did not actually say they were the server. There are plenty of people in restaurants who are supposed to get a cut of the tips but are not actually servers such as the people who wash the dishes and clear tables.