By jayswizzle89 - 29/07/2014 07:58 - Canada - Etobicoke

Today, I was having coffee with an old friend I hadn't seen since university. I asked about her husband; she replied, "He died" and walked off. I was confused, so I stood up and took off after her. She then reminded me that I was at his funeral, and then slapped me in the face. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 160
You deserved it 69 547

Same thing different taste

Comments

So how does one forget about going to a funeral?

Time does a lot to a person. Especially if you weren't great friends with a person you could almost forget they existed let alone their husband. A funeral is just another thing somebody attends, you go to lots in your life, I could EASILY see somebody forgetting. I've probably forgotten family members funerals I've been to. Stop judging.

scice03 8

I don't think the slap was necessary but I really feel sorry for you, I've temporarily forgotten really important things too and it's humiliating enough.

I think she was a bit excessive. I would be hurt that you didn't remember but I would never act crazy like she did.

I wouldve acted crazy! What he did was unforgivable.

Unforgivable? Stupid I could understand, but please. We have no idea how old OP is and considering how she refers to the friend, they probably were never really close. OP could have memory issues, for all we know. Please consider all before posting a comment

I think some focus factor wouldn't be a bad idea...that stuff really........hang on lost my train of thought

How could you forget that!? You were at the Funeral for godsakes.

She didn't say in the FML that she was.

"She reminded me that I was at the funeral, and then slapped me in the face" OP had attended the funeral.

Alzheimer's maybe? You didnt say how old you were.

Guys you realize most of these are probably fake right? This is definitely one of them.

My original comment was going to be that I don't understand why people post stories about huge, insensitive mistakes that they've made and expect sympathy from others. But then, reading other comments, I realized it could be possible that the FRIEND was actually mistaken, and OP really wasn't at the funeral and didn't know about the death. OP, please follow up!

Pretty much any FML posted that happened due to the OP's actions is almost guaranteed to have a shitton more YDIs than FYLs; people don't generally post those for sympathy and I have no idea what would make you assume they do.

You must be a complete idiot to forget you are at a funeral, especially considering the relationship the person who you were speaking to had with the deceased. YDI 100%

OP wasn't at the funeral in that moment. She was having coffee with a friend who reminded her about the funeral having taken place in the past.

At no point does OP give us the details of how close they were and based on the fact they'd potentially only seen each other for the friend's husband's funeral since college (an undisclosed period of time) I'd say they weren't best friends. I've been to countless weddings of family and simply because they haven't been close family that I see often, I'd forgotten their ceremonies. Without a follow-up, for all we know OP has been out of college for 10+ years and was catching up with a friend who was more like an acquaintance.