By ocdistheworst - 26/08/2013 20:05 - United States - Gardena

Today, I was formally diagnosed with obsessive-compulsive tendencies. My mom saw this as an excuse to make me clean the whole house top to bottom, because "Hey, you love to clean." FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 650
You deserved it 3 883

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Oh but of course you love to clean! Just like how people with severe depression just LOVE to feel hopeless and dejected every minute of their lives...

Wizardo 33

OCD doesn't always mean cleanliness, it just means order to your preference. Explain that to her next time.

Comments

I originally posted this. As a child, I always did my chores that I was assigned, but the house was always disgusting and it was more than I could handle. My brother never helped, and I just stayed in my room when I wasn't cleaning to get away from the rest of the house. My room is like my quarantine area. It is always clean, and I'm always clean when I'm in it. I am older now, and I wash my sheets every day, usually multiple times. I disinfect everything, and the amount of cleaning that I do in my own room wears me out, so doing any more isn't fair for my health. Not only my mental health, but I'm sure that smelling all the chemicals in the cleaning spray more then I already do Is bad for my physical health. I don't think my case is like any other. It's like I don't even have it when I'm not in my room, my room is the only thing I care about cleaning, but I clean the rest of the house too for my parents. I seem normal anywhere else. OCD has made my life so much harder though. After I take a shower, I can't touch anything that isn't in my room, or I usually take another shower. And for the guy that said the part about not having to pay rent, I pay part of the water bill because I use so much, and I'm in high school.

I love my mom more than anything in the world, so for the person who called my mom an idiot and a bitch, you're wrong about that. She may not be the most sympathetic or understanding person in the world, but I wouldn't be able to live without her.

OCD can be a bummer, I know. But now that you have had it formally diagnosed you could get some medication. I have been on OCD meds for 6 years. Just some medication can work better than others. Please trust me that it will get better. I used to not be able to eat because I thought the food was bad. Even if my mother made it. I had and still have problems with being clean and hate using bathrooms unless it is my own or I have to clean myself. PM me if you need to. Hang in there.

I really appreciate your comment. I'll PM you if I have questions.

Yeah, but it's also a disorder, so you don't like order. :-)

It really pisses me off when people assume all OCD is the same: cleaning things to perfection. My OCD is the opposite, even.

HAHAHAHAHA OMG Your mom! That suucks though!

way to go man.. my mom does tht to me too... lol

I feel your pain, OP. My compulsion is that my room cannot be clean and making lists.

VoodooPriestess 16

I think you should clean the house top to bottom because then everything is your way. It'll practically be your house. And it may drive your mother nuts and make her slightly more sympathetic next time.

That is terrible. She needs to start to understand it more - get her a book on it? OCD is hell. Hell on earth. The good thing is you can get help. I had it too - but it expressed itself in religion.

My mom would do the same exact thing OP trust me