By ocdistheworst - 26/08/2013 20:05 - United States - Gardena

Today, I was formally diagnosed with obsessive-compulsive tendencies. My mom saw this as an excuse to make me clean the whole house top to bottom, because "Hey, you love to clean." FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 650
You deserved it 3 883

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Oh but of course you love to clean! Just like how people with severe depression just LOVE to feel hopeless and dejected every minute of their lives...

Wizardo 33

OCD doesn't always mean cleanliness, it just means order to your preference. Explain that to her next time.

Comments

Unless your tendencies are specifically about cleaning, just tell her no. I have OC tendencies too but my compulsions have never had anything to do with cleaning. I think people just assume that OCD=cleaning from watching the TV show 'Monk' :S

So you don't have to clean anything now because you don't like it? Badass

Really 59? That's not what 31 said. What they said is, unless their tendencies were to clean, to tell the mom no. Because the OP could not live with the mother, but they went together to the doctor. It's not saying never to cleaning, it's saying no to misunderstands to a disorder OP has.

It's not saying never to cleaning, it's saying no to a misunderstanding to a disorder that OP has.* Sorry, I can't seem to write the words the way I want them to come out.

OP said 'clean THE whole house' , not clean HER whole house, so I'm gonna guess they're living in the same house. Regardless, I'll just say teens are generally shitheads and it wouldn't kill them to clean more, OCD or not. In other words, yes Mom made an insensitive joke... But seriously go clean the house.

Lol funny considering ocd has nothing to do with cleaning. Well i mean it can but certainly not always. I also have ocd but i really hate cleaning. And normally dont bother trying to clean the whole house because it frustrates me when i cant get it right. But all my things have a specific home :p

Manipulate back. Overplay it a little for a few weeks and act hysterical if your mum puts something 'out of place'. Don't internalise your problems, let her know that responsibility for cleaning the entire house will be hell for you.

aw, c'mon op! ocd cleaning isn't that bad! I ocd clean all the time :D just remember to start from top to bottom, & save sweeping/mopping for the end. PS: you missed a spot!

OCD is more in the case of order...not primarily to the essence of cleaning...

perdix 29

I have CDO. It's just like OCD, but in proper alphabetical order like it needs to be!

25- Oh, I was taught that method. Only, I was told to "just say no" to strangers. I guess they were wrong.

Sk8in 1

Well I guess no morning workouts for you then.

OCD =/= Neat freak. OCD just vary depending on people. Some people prefer specific patterns to their daily doings while others are neat freak. Your mom's stereotyping you.

CharresBarkrey 15

To be fair, not a lot of people are educated about OCD. She probably just doesn't understand. I only know specifics about it because my mother had it, but had she not, I'd probably assume it was a cleaning habit as well just from TV and movies.

I have severe OCD. I literally clean, already clean things for hours and organize by shape, size and color. My aunt with OCD though just needs to touch or do things certain amounts of times. So maybe explain to your mum that all people with OCD don't like to clean all day like others. Good luck with it!:( not very fun to have.