By Anonymous - 22/01/2010 02:49 - United States

Today, I was at my work. To urge people to be generous, I paid my friends to put 15 bucks in the tip jar while saying how great I was. He did this about ten times throughout the day. Turns out, us employees don't get to keep the tips. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 994
You deserved it 28 630

Same thing different taste

Top comments

realggirl 0

Absurd! Why don't you guys get to keep the tips?

You don't keep tips?!?! FYL. That's bullshit. Sure, you probably have done a little research before your little "investment", but still.... that's complete bullshit.

Comments

I call BS. It's in the US. What I CAN believe is that you have to split the tips with other workers as that is common practice. What we did when I worked in carryout was put a few dollars in when no customers were around, letting the other employees know, and it really worked. Our tip jar wasn't allowed to say 'tips' on it, so we didn't get any a lot the time unless we did this. At the end of the day, we took our money out and THEN divided up the tips.

OP, those tips are given (or not, because most people won't tip in a fast-food type establishment) for the employee's service. If they will not be distributed to the employees, the jar needs to be marked as a charity jar. I can tell most of the disagreeing here is based in cultural differences, but I have to say, the amount of ignorance from most of you is really discouraging. In the USA, servers don't make squat for "wages." Their bills are paid with the TIPS that they SHOULD be receiving. I understand that it may be different in your country. But i fyou are from the USA, stfu and leave a tip, unless your server did NOTHING for you (ie, no drinks, no refills, screwed up your order, didn't get you anything you asked for, ignored you, etc). Even then, you should leave a small tip because most servers have to tip-share and don't get to keep it all, anyway. If you're honestly bitching that much about an extra 2 or 3 dollars, maybe you shouldn't be wasting your precious money on going out to eat, anyway.

@55 youre stupid! the restraunt does NOT want to make up their wage if they don't make enough! yes they have to but If the restraunt keeps having to do this they are losing money! so they fire the server and hiring someone who can at least earn minimum wage in tips!

and also you may go into a restraunt and tip someone two dollars and say, aw they probably have had tins of tables and made lots of money so far! YOU DONT KNOW THAT!! one day business was SO slow and I had three tables! if they each tipped me $2 then I would be walking out with $6! that's a LOAD OF SHIT!!

haha! something anyone can do??? we fire people ALL the time cause they can't cut it!! you work one day in our shoes on a Friday night and I gauruntee you will tip your servers WAY more than you ever would have before!

Agreed! Being a good server takes way more skills that most people realize.

and as for getting a real job? lots of people who serve are in high school! and they others, maybe they need flexible hours! I do because I has a husband in the military and I need a job that i can take off a month at a time to see him! and some one has to wait on your asses! otherwise there wouldn't be any restraunts in the us! now you fat asses wouldn't like that now would ya?

btw sry I'm posting so much on this but as a server....you are DYING to tell people off about tips! but you can't at your job because you'll get fired!

Sorry, but it would be "we employees" instead of "us employees". Hahaha. &that sucks.. =/

screw that, I'd be handing outthe damn tip jar to everyone

Clearsky18 2

tips are a waste of money, i try not to do it....get a better paying job and don't rely on tips.