By Anonymous - 22/01/2010 02:49 - United States

Today, I was at my work. To urge people to be generous, I paid my friends to put 15 bucks in the tip jar while saying how great I was. He did this about ten times throughout the day. Turns out, us employees don't get to keep the tips. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 994
You deserved it 28 630

Same thing different taste

Top comments

realggirl 0

Absurd! Why don't you guys get to keep the tips?

You don't keep tips?!?! FYL. That's bullshit. Sure, you probably have done a little research before your little "investment", but still.... that's complete bullshit.

Comments

YDI for using incorrectly using "us" when it should have been "we". BAM! Grammar pwned.

it's funny how people say increase food price so they don't have to worry about tips! think about it, then you would get SHITTY ASS service because what do they care? their still making money wether you're happy or not! Now you wouldn't be pleased with that now would you??

and btw I agree, bad service bad tip! buy if we bust our ass to make u happy and make sure all your needs are met and you don't leave a good tip then that's shit! clearaky is a perfect example that even if you're the best server ever it doesn't matter! some people just don't care!

Actually even in the US restaurants bars etc. often have policies whereby the establishment keeps tips or gratuity payments and only pay employees a flat rate or percentage of tips received.

Even in places where servers get minimum wage they are expected to tip out to the kitchen staff, busboys, hostess, etc. a certain percentage of the bill. It's based on the bill to stop sneaky servers from pretending they got no tip and giving nothing to everyone else. So if you leave no tip then they are paying to serve you. So give them at least a small tip unless they are utterly terrible. That being said, the op was dumb. The best way to ensure good tips in a tip jar scenario is to empty them frequently, but leave a little bit of change including a dollar or two. This shows that it is a tip jar, and that at least someone has given a sizable tip (since somewhere like Starbucks where there is a tip jar by the till a dollar would be 20-25% if someone got a single drink), but not many people have. This combines pity and ego-boosting to maximize someone's likelyhood of tipping.

Well, after reading the comments, I know I should never, ever, be a waitress. It should be an employer's job to pay the staff, not the customers. Raise the menu prices, I don't care. But I sure as hell ain't going to work someplace where I can't be guaranteed at least minimum wage. How is this legal? A waiter should be able to make min. wage AND tips.

dawnia_tbone07 0

You are guaranteed minimum wage as a server. At the end of every night, you have to claim your tips. At the end of the pay period, the management takes your tips plus your $2.13 an hour wage and determines whether or not you made minimum. If not, they have to reimburse you. The draw to being a waitress is always having money instead of living paycheck to paycheck. I usually make between $50-$75 a night, depending on all the circumstances. BUT, people who don't tip still screw us over. If I sell $500 worth of food in a night (50 customers or more at minimum) I am expected to make anywhere between $75-$100 a night. If I don't make that amount, I could get in trouble with my bosses. It's a great job when you consider how much I have after every shift, but no matter how much you're making in a night, is definitely sucks to wait on a table hand and foot and get jilted because they couldn't stand to leave $1-$2 a person.

xcalx85 0

The employer can't keep the tips. In restaurants and bars, the wage per hour is like $2.17. Reason being, the employee make plenty of money off of their tips. If their hourly wage and tips don't equal up to minimum wage per hour, then the employer has to compensate to make it up to minimum wage

Was this your first day on the job, or the first day that you had out a tip jar? It sounds as if you were surprised that you didn't receive any tip-jar money, but if you'd gotten it before then why was this day any different?

laideehawk 6

i'm sorry your boss is such a tightass. I am curious, however, why you weren't aware you could not keep your tips. That would be a dealbreaker for me if a prospective employer told me I couldn't keep my tips.

well I can't believe you didn't know this already... was it your first day on the job with this policy??? you should have already known you weren't going to keep the tips.