By Anonymous - 22/01/2010 02:49 - United States

Today, I was at my work. To urge people to be generous, I paid my friends to put 15 bucks in the tip jar while saying how great I was. He did this about ten times throughout the day. Turns out, us employees don't get to keep the tips. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 994
You deserved it 28 630

Same thing different taste

Top comments

realggirl 0

Absurd! Why don't you guys get to keep the tips?

You don't keep tips?!?! FYL. That's bullshit. Sure, you probably have done a little research before your little "investment", but still.... that's complete bullshit.

Comments

get a real job then u don't need to worry about tips

Oh please, serving is a real job. I serve at a fine-dining restaurant with plenty of professional servers who have made this their career. Regardless, the OP is clearly not a server, because servers generally keep their tips in their apron/shirt pocket, not in a freaking jar! I would imagine this is some place that has counter service, like a coffee shop or sandwich shop.

Jimbo2000 0

I am in the USA and I don't tip. unless the service is exceptional.

Yep, and you're a useless piece of shit. Don't be surprised when your food starts tasting like crap and your servers tell you to go **** yourself, either.

you sound like a shitty waitress. I hope you enjoy getting fired for spitting in someones food, then being denied unemployment because it was your own fault, then being denied welfare because you caused yourself to lose a job due to misconduct.

Hermyoni 0

Yes servers base pay is below minimum wage but if they don't make enough tips to actually break minimum wage pay per hour the restaurant has to make up the difference. So you really don't have to tip. I think it's pointless and we shouldn't have to. I don't see how the OP didn't realize tipping practices at work.

You do realize that at most restaurants the servers have to tip out a portion of their sales to other employees? Let's say I have a table that's check is $100, I have to tip out $2 to the bartender, $2 to the busser, and $2 to the foodrunners. So if my guest tips me the standard $20, I only get to keep $14 of that. If the guest is a moron and doesn't tip then I get to pay $6 out of my pocket to cover that tipout! Americans that don't tip should not eat out. If you can't afford to tip or you think that you're too good to tip, then stick to fast food where tips aren't expected. Because I don't care how big a city you live in, the serving community is relatively small and tight-knit, they'll figure you out eventually.

Comentator 0

I'd rat out the business for not allowing you to keep the tips...

WTF the servers should not get paid less then minimum wage and tips should not be expected!!!

I am not completely sure that this is even legal. I think you should find out if it is and, if so, report it to the appropriate authorities. The Department of Labor's Wage and Hour Division phone # is 1-866-487-9243. You can find your nearest California Dept. of Labor Relations here: http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/districtoffices.htm Your boss is a lowlife who is probably taking advantage of the dismal employment conditions. I hope you are also keeping your eye open for other work. It sounds to me like you're pretty young and this might be your first job. There are employers who will exploit that, and I think you've run into one.

@8 it's dumb ***** like you who should NEVER set foot in a restraunt! I'm a waitress and I bust my ass every day to wait on you hand and foot!! I get paid $3 an hour! WAY less thelan minimum wage! that's how I pay my bills!! if you don't wanna tip, you can sit at home, cook your own food, get your own drinks, get your own salads, desserts, clean your own table! I'm doin all this FOR YOU!!

If all you dumb ***** just say 'no' to the jobs because its below minimum wage, the employer is forced to offer a higher salary because nobody wants to work for less. But no; working in a restaurant is something anyone can do, so what you get is the bottom 20% of society is serving us food, gives us a bad service and we are expected to TIP that?!?!

#67 - what restaurants are you going to? To work in my restaurant, you have to have at least 5 years serving experience before you would even get an interview, let alone hired. Not that we're ever hiring. Working in a restaurant is not something that anyone can do. Well, I suppose if you're only going to bottom-rung restaurants as you clearly are. Nearly ever server that I work with has a college degree, some of us are working on our graduate degrees. I've been serving for 7 years, most of my co-workers have been serving for even longer. One of my co-workers is a sommelier - that's sure as hell not something that just anyone can do!!

and also, percentage...it's actually supposed to be 15% of the bill. 20% if they're really good and so on. 10% if they're not great 5% if they're bad. it's really rude not to leave anything. yeah if they sucked I know but they still did sorta get ya your stuff. maybe you could afford a dollar? they could also be new. ever think of that?

but back to percentage, most people tip LESS than 10%!!! yesterday I had a $50 ticket! and I was great! did everything right, had them laugh and talking up a storm! they left me $2! that's SO not 10%!!! it sucks!!! THIS IS HOW I PAY MY BILLS!!! also if service is good, try tiling on service! not the bill! servers like that more! if your bill is $25....tip on service! ($5 if good) if your bill is $100...tip on the bill! get it??