Tipping point

By BagBoy - 13/11/2013 06:42 - United States

Today, I was taking out a customer's groceries when he offered me a $5 tip. I told him I couldn't accept, since it's against store policy, but thanked him anyway. He called me an asshole just as my boss was walking to his car, who then yelled at me for it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 860
You deserved it 3 045

Same thing different taste

Top comments

This almost exact situation has happened to me before, usually kind old ladies try to give money for helping them to their car but one time a man from the army with a broken leg got pissed because I wouldn't take the money! I ran it by my boss though and now I just accept and donate the money to the charity the store I work in supports!

To take or not to take. The age old dilemma. Always take!

Comments

To take or not to take. The age old dilemma. Always take!

AntiPrude 26

From what i hear about wages in the US, you guys should definitely take what you can get.

if OP had take the money he would have been violating his company's policy and could have been fired. I'm hoping that he can talk to his boss and explain what happened. But it's better to get yelled at than get fired.

The only tips OP needs is look both ways before crossing the street and not to take candy from strangers.

Rainhawk94 27

We have read the FML. Thanks for your guidance though.

ive had people try to tip me for helping them and it is against policy and they have cameras everywhere. as much as I would like to take the money cause I certainly need it, I refuse. id rather not lose my job over $5.

Rainhawk94 27

Sorry #42 i thought it would be obvious i was referring to #26

bfsd42 20

26, and don't pee into the wind.

This almost exact situation has happened to me before, usually kind old ladies try to give money for helping them to their car but one time a man from the army with a broken leg got pissed because I wouldn't take the money! I ran it by my boss though and now I just accept and donate the money to the charity the store I work in supports!

DenBriZel 31

That's a good way to be able to accept tips from customers! You aren't breaking store policy and they still feel like they're helping you out for helping them.

In my opinion it's not right not to tip. I see tipping as an appreciation for a service. If you helped me bring groceries to the car, that's really kind of you, and even if it's store policy, it's still a provided service. On my deployment here to Japan they told us not to tip. I see people get whatever, from a haircut to food at the restaurant without tipping. I tried to walk away as well, but I can't bring myself to it. It's just awkward. I tip them all the time now, and they get real excited and bow their heads when they say "thank you". It just helps prove the value to the service.

so you mean all japanese people are not right not to tip ? You know it really depends on the culture...

When in Japan, never tip. It is an insult, as if they need your charity. You should tip Japanese workers in America though.

Sathane 21

Lol. Gotta love the ignorance of some people. In some cultures tipping is considered an insult. You're essentially treating them as someone who need to be pitied and subsidized - as a poor person. Just like in some cultures it's an insult to finish all the food on your plate when you're a guest at someone's house. Finishing all the food tells the host that they didn't provide enough food to satisfy you.

DenBriZel 31

Some customers are always assholes, but I applaud you for doing the right thing and not taking the tip. I assume you told your boss what happened?

now we just have to hope his boss believed him.

AntiPrude 26

Bullshit. The customer is not always right, and some bosses are shitcunts. OP should explain what happened, and if the boss actually.tries penalizing him, OP should report him to higher levels. OP shouldnt be submissive, otherwise the boss will just think he can push OP around.

Any boss worth their pay does listen to their employees. The customers are not always right. I work in customer service and our boss does recognize some customers are unhappy regardless and some have unattainable expectations.

Goblin182 26

But a lot of bosses are not worth their pay.

Where I worked, I wasn't allowed to accept tips either. if they got mad, I told people if you really want to "tip" me...buy me a drink. Even if I didn't need one at the moment, I could keep the receipt and get it later, or let someone else have it. Win/win.

How about explaining the situation to your boss...

I work at Ingles so I know where your coming from, however at my store we are encouraged to take tips.

So how do you understand if you have a different situation? Makes no sense.....

DanShowsNoMercy 13

I'm guessing you work at Publix?

I work at Publix and if they insist twice I just take it because they will get upset like this if you fight them about it.

I work at Publix as well. I'll refuse at first as it is policy, but people do get upset and I could use the money.