By Anonymous - 22/01/2010 02:49 - United States

Today, I was at my work. To urge people to be generous, I paid my friends to put 15 bucks in the tip jar while saying how great I was. He did this about ten times throughout the day. Turns out, us employees don't get to keep the tips. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 994
You deserved it 28 628

Same thing different taste

Top comments

realggirl 0

Absurd! Why don't you guys get to keep the tips?

You don't keep tips?!?! FYL. That's bullshit. Sure, you probably have done a little research before your little "investment", but still.... that's complete bullshit.

Comments

American employers must be so stingey. Why would you work for $6 or so an hour? I wouldn't bother, if that's all I would get I'd just beg for it on the streets. Why should people tip anyway? You provide a service. Why should I pay you for doing your job? You don't work for me. Yeah yeah, I know i'm being a hypocrite with the whole stingey deal, but their enployers should pay them more than slave wages anyway. There are little chinese kids sewing your sneakers together in a factory right now earning more than you.

xxrebelsxx 13

This is the most stupid comment I have ever read , 6$ an hour (I make 7.50 an hour) isn't that bad for a person in high school which is what those kind of jobs are made for, an btw a child in china is making way less then that

assvomit 0
epoh_fml 0

employers should pay more in the US for serving jobs, but they don't. So leave a goddamn tip.

yottskry 0

Why is it my business to make up the crappy pay of an employer? If you want a tip then provide good service. It should not be an entitlement.

#33 - Completely agree. You have to earn that tip. There have times in restaurants where my server is 5 feet away...sees that we need something (and by this, I mean we're waving her down) and she still ignores us. Service like this does not deserve a high tip!! If I'm unhappy with my experience, I shouldn't have to dish out EXTRA money than what I already owe the business.

#50 - if you're unhappy with your service, talk to the manager, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to discount your meal so that you feel better. But even if the service was bad, you should always tip AT LEAST 5% (on the undiscounted amount) to make up for what the server has to tip out to other employees, like the busser, food runner, bartender. If not, that server has to pay just for the privilege to wait on you and that is in no way fair.

cucuto89 0

IF the waiter has to pay the other employees, thats out of there TIP, not the meal.

#87, No. The tip-out amount is based on the SALES that server had, not the amount of the tips they have gotten. So, it IS based on the food, drinks, etc. NOT THE TIP. If your bill is $100, I have to tip out four dollars to others, regardless of whether you tipped me or not. That is me paying for you to be a tight-ass jerk.

ayame_jbomb_2727 0

I worked as a waitress in between high school and university, I made minimum wage. However one will relise that in alot of places minumum wage is not high enough to live independantly, cause rent in most places in the city near my home is typically at least $1000 a month plus utilities, and thats a minimum. Working around forty hours a week at minimum $9/hr here you make about $1440 a month, which leaves $440 for utilities, food and miscilanious expenses (gas, personal hygeine, insurance, and saving for school so you can get a better job).

F that shit. Horrible service deserves absolutely NO TIP WHATSOEVER. Barely good service the same. ONLY if they are doing good to excellent service will I tip them. Think of it this way. When I come into a restaurant, I plan on paying a 20% tip. That percentage goes up or down depending on how crappy the service is. I have at times paid a 50% tip to someone who kicked ass. I've also left one penny to someone who had horrid service. They didn't even deserve that penny. HORRID SERVICE MEANS NO TIP. If they hate their job that much and depend only on tips to get them through, they need to find another job.

Servers are generally paid well below minimum wage BECAUSE they receive tips, and the tips are their main form of compensation. If minimum wage is $7/hr, servers can get paid as low as $2.50/hr. You couldn't live on that. Tip jars are meant to be appreciation for good service provided by the servers and are intended to be given to said servers. FYL OP.

Yea but if they don't make enough in tips to get to minimum wage by law their employer is required to make up the difference

I'm not rich. I'm working class. I've had my share of crappy minimum wage jobs. Luckily, I live in Australia where you could sue someone if they tried to pay you $6 an hour. I seriously don't know why you would bother. Though, I understand things are more expensive here. But still... That's crap. No point.

Eight in California. Also in California: tips are earned above minimum wage of $8/hr, and management cannot keep them.

yottskry 0

$6 AUD is only £3.35... that's still pretty low! Minimum wage here is £5.83 (for 18+). Maybe things are cheaper in Australia than the UK though?

It's only £5.80 for 22 years and over. If you're 18 - 21 it's £4.83. Oh and also, it's illegal not to give employees tips. You should bring your boss to an employment tribunal or something. They have no claim to the tips.

yottskry 0

You are correct. It's been a while since I had to deal with minimum wages (I used to work in a shop)

yottskry, they're saying that you could sue in australia if someone tried to pay you $6 per hour, coz its well below minimum wage. minimum wage in queensland is $14.20 if you're over 20.

#22 - in most states in America, there are different minimum wages for tipped and non-tipped employees. For tipped employees in Missouri (where I live), it's $3.50-ish and close to $7.50 for non-tipped (not sure because I've never worked a non-tipped min wage job!). If for some reason, I don't make the non-tipped min. wage after my hourly rate and my tips, then my employer has to make up the difference. The restaurants in America that pay a lower wage to servers are doing so within the law, because, once again, it's expected that servers will get tips.

SarahMarie83 0

Servers are required to report and pay taxes on tips. Employers are required to make up the diferrence if a server earns less than minimum wage once tips are figured in. Unless this was the first day at a new job, how would you not know that tip jar wasn't meant for you? And if you thought it was for the employees, why would you want $150 of your money disbursed among yourself and coworkers. Sounds like someone had a bad TV overload!

You realize that you would lose money in this scheme even if you guys did keep the tips right?

If you don't get the tips, then who does? I think you need to make an official complaint.

Androgynoel 0

ydi that whole scheme was pretty lame:/

and that, my friend, is why you don't **** around in my restaurant.