By Anonymous - 22/01/2010 02:49 - United States

Today, I was at my work. To urge people to be generous, I paid my friends to put 15 bucks in the tip jar while saying how great I was. He did this about ten times throughout the day. Turns out, us employees don't get to keep the tips. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 994
You deserved it 28 630

Same thing different taste

Top comments

realggirl 0

Absurd! Why don't you guys get to keep the tips?

You don't keep tips?!?! FYL. That's bullshit. Sure, you probably have done a little research before your little "investment", but still.... that's complete bullshit.

Comments

yottskry 0

This, along with no healthcare, is something else I don't get about the USA: tipping. Tipping is NOT obligatory, tipping is for good service. In the UK servers get the same minimum wage as everyone else (£5.83 / hour) and tips are on top of that but entirely optional. If I get good service I tip about 15%, sometimes more. If the service is rubbish then there's no tip. That's how it should be. None of this "you're expected to tip because it makes up the wages" nonsense.

Just to point out, in the UK, you'll probably find that your servers are earning less than that - cause not many 22+ y/o's want to waiter! At pizza hut, i was earning £4.28 per hour, as i was under 18. (that was last year). At 18, it goes up to £5.01 per hour. Not as bad as half minimum wage, but i thought i'd point that out. Being under 18 was shite. :-P Anyway, as a waitress, i never expect a tip if i know i haven't given good service. when the restaurant's busy - as in, i'll be serving 6 or so tables at a time (harder than it looks, as i discovered lol) AND doing all the little tasks which come with the job - cleaning and setting tables, greeting customers, filling up salad bars, making desserts, drinks, blended drinks, realising the right food isn't to hand for the dessert, running around the entire restaurant trying to find it, polishing cultery, sorting out bar areas etc etc (all simple tasks but when you have to do all of them at the same time, gets a bit annoying, bit manic and that). As i was saying, when the restaurants that busy, serving 6 or so tables at a time, massive queues at the door, customers CANNOT expect my 100% undivided attention. i give as much attention as i possibly can, and i do try to look out incase they look like they need something, but it can get a bit hectic and that. If you want waiters complete attention - DON'T COME AT PEAK TIMES. Quite logical really. Customers come expecting one-on-one service and all this, as though they're the most important person in the restaurant. Unfortuanately, in the real world, all the other customers around him are JUST as important. Waiters are trying their hardest to cater to your every need, they more or less have to suck your dick if you want them to. If you can see they're working hard, really you SHOULD leave a tip. It's become common courtesy across the world (some countries excepted.) Of course, if they're ignoring every other customer and just lingering by the bar doing nothing, being rude to customers, then yeah, they're not even trying to do their job, so don't worry. It does depend on where you go aswell - like if I was a customer at somewhere like pizza hut, i'd only leave a tip if the service was good. However if i was a customer at a top hotel, 5* or something, I would leave a tip regardless...you couldn't really go somewhere that posh and not tip.

midgetme234 0

doesnt that just suck. you should learn a lesson.

yottskry 0

No it isn't. There is no hard or fast rule for tipping in the UK. It's not expected or required and if you chose to do it the percentage is entirely up to you. If I tip it's around 15% or more for really, really good service.

yottskry 0

I don't know how this ended up here. It was intended for #34 (and got posted as a reply to that too, in the right place...)

why the hell is everyone using £? this is America goddamnit!!!!!!! 

yottskry 0

The only person to have used £ was me and that was because I was specifically saying about the minimum wage in the UK. Hardly 'everyone' and no need for you to have a panic attack.

And no this is not America, it's not even the USA, it's the internet where you find people from the whole world. And you should know that FML started as VDM, a french site, so € should be the currency used. Maybe £ since it's closer... so STFU

FHGrif 0

I believe there is a law against that.

g1user 0

U know u can sue the shit outa that restaurants manager or owner its against the law to keep the emplyees tips unless you guys get paid really good but I'm beting you make minimum n if that's the case you got a case

youthink_fml 0

When you have to beg or pay people to say you're great, you're not.

How long have you worked there that you just now realised you keep the tips? Or does no one tip at all and that's why you didn't know?