By Anonymous - 16/02/2016 13:49 - United States - Chevy Chase

Today, I came out of the closet, after years of fear and shame, thanks to my mom making me to go to a church full of fundies my whole life. In the end, I was in tears. All I got was a frown and a "So? Want a medal or something?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 19 833
You deserved it 3 785

Same thing different taste

Top comments

pleasedie 22

Well at least it went relatively well. Some people are disowned and thrown out for things like that.

At least you have an understanding family

Comments

I am so proud of you! Way to be true to your authentic self =)

Congratulations on taking that huge step. My guess is that your Mom already knew you were gay. I know when some of my family members came out I was not surprised. I knew for a long time and it did not matter to me.

Trust me.. This is one of least expected response from tour family for coming out of closet scenarios.. I have seen more violent scenes

first of all, kudos to you man for coming out of the closet and having the bravery to stand up and be yourself. Second, your mother seems like a very insensitive individual. That is not the way to handle a conversation like that. Even if you do not agree with your child's choice. FML OP don't worry about what your family says. Don't ever be afraid or ashamed to be yourself.

LyingBlood 8

there is nothing special about coming out of the closet. if OP had been proud of their sexuality they would have come out sooner, or not been crying

Suaria 38

It could have been worse. Your family could have been completely unaccepting and kicked you out. It is rude they said what they did.

I came to the realization I found other gals attractive at about six, when I would get nervous chatting with them and never felt those butterflies around the dudes I played sports with. Most of my family figured it was a phase I would grow out of. Years later I still am and always will be pansexual and completely okay with it. As long as you're confident and accept your preferences it hardly matters how anyone else feels about them. Life is far too short to worry about their expectations and false assumptions of your character. Be proud and embrace it, and grateful they haven't yet disowned you over it.

ETA As for the church situation, when you find a place in the world that you feel respected and comfortable, it does wonders for the mental scarring left by those who previously oppressed you.

I have a feeling OP's mom knew. Parents tend to know these things, especially moms

Sometimes people aren't very nice. Good for you OP. Live life to the fullest! No more secrets! Be happy :)

I understand how you feel, OP. To do something courageous as coming out of the closet, after pep talking yourself and getting for the big moment, only for your family to treat it as an everyday event, is kind of a letdown. It doesn't mean much, but I'm proud of you for coming out, and you should be proud that you took this giant step. It's great that your parents accept you for who you are, and I hope you cherish that, but I know how it feels for it to seem like people don't really care.

LyingBlood 8

it is an everyday event you idiot, there isn't anything special about it. I know lots of people who came out bi or pan. they don't think it's a big deal cause they were proud and that's all that matters, that's why they came out. cause they were proud, not cause they wanted something