By Anonymous - 16/02/2016 13:49 - United States - Chevy Chase

Today, I came out of the closet, after years of fear and shame, thanks to my mom making me to go to a church full of fundies my whole life. In the end, I was in tears. All I got was a frown and a "So? Want a medal or something?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 19 833
You deserved it 3 785

Same thing different taste

Top comments

pleasedie 22

Well at least it went relatively well. Some people are disowned and thrown out for things like that.

At least you have an understanding family

Comments

I think the comments on here are really lovely, but I don't think it is right to say 'oh well just be happy you didn't get kicked out etc.' because although those terrible things happen to a lot of people, it doesn't make what happened to OP any less bad. When you feel wronged you don't want to hear about how others have it worse and you should be grateful you aren't them, you want to feel vindicated and have your feelings validated. It was really quite cruel of the parents to dismiss something that was so so important to OP and disregard all the internal anguish and suffering they had been experiencing.

LyingBlood 8

they should hear how others have it worse. they should be proud they got off easy

I know that pain. I was raised Catholic and my parents used gay jokes very liberally growing up (never laughing WITH them, only at them). When I finally worked up the nerve to come out they were shocked and hurt that I thought they would have a bad reaction.

That's called equality... If it's not a big deal for straight people to be straight, then why should it be a big deal for a gay person to be gay?

Because straight people aren't still bullied, raped, or killed? It's gotten a lot better, yes, but being gat still isn't as accepted as being straight. Otherwise YOU'D have to come out as straight as well.

The only reason that people have to come out, is because there aren't very many of them in the grand scheme. Less than 1% of the U.S. population identifies as non-heterosexual. These people have to "come out" so others know. I've hit on women before that told me they were lesbian, and my girlfriend has had the same happen with guys she had hit on. Oh, and heterosexuals are bullied and killed, because we aren't progressive enough or we've been on top too long. It doesn't matter though, because the O.P. is literally experiencing equality and doesn't like that they are not special in someone's eyes.

ouijacorn 9

YDI for using the word "fundies" unironically.

tiredofwaiting 25

They probably just look at it like I do. If you're gay or straight, it doesn't matter. You're literally the same exact person so if someone I knew said their hair was black, is give the same response as if someone came out to me.

So what you're gay. It's not that big of a deal. You are different, and that's okay, because everyone is different. You make it sound like you were expecting an award, or an apology. I don't think your mom forced you, and if she did, then maybe she was trying to expose you to religion. Any how, if you think your parents/family are not there for you, then don't be there for them. Live your life how you want, but also be respectful of others and live your life humbly and private.

Why do you have to make a deal about it? Can you not just randomly one day bring home girl/guy and say "mum/dad this is my girl/boy friend..."

guitarinajar 2

You say as if you wanted there to be a big commotion, good if your mum doesnt care thats how it should be anyways.

I'm sorry that happened. My parents are pretty accepting but when I came out they lectured me because I'm apparently "labeling too much" and "how could I know I'm single?" And then my mom said I was rubbing my agenda in her face. Anyways, congratulations of coming out!! That's a big thing!!! I'm proud of you!!!