Presumption

By fmlgrl - 30/07/2012 06:59 - United States - Los Angeles

Today, I went to a corner store to restock my chocolate stash. A guy from work walked in to see me and the cashier arguing about the amount of candy I was trying to buy with a jar of pennies. He took one look at me and said, "That time of the month, eh?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 739
You deserved it 27 156

Same thing different taste

Top comments

blueandpurpleroc 4

A jar of pennies? If I was the cashier I'd want to kill you. Of course if it was that time of the month, I see your desperation.

Pennies: every cashier's worst nightmare.

Comments

dsbs 9

Hmmm do you like fish sticks?

HowAreYouToday 34

Do you like putting fish sticks in your mouth? .... Then you're a gay fish. Kanye West: What?

dsbs 9

7- can you recognize a question? Do you like fish sticks?

blueandpurpleroc 4

A jar of pennies? If I was the cashier I'd want to kill you. Of course if it was that time of the month, I see your desperation.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

No it's not illegal to pay with pennies. They're a form of currency idiot.

I never saw the big deal with customers paying in change. I used to deliver pizza and once a girl handed me a ziplock Baggie of quarters, nickels and dimes. It took me all of two extra minutes to count it.

But when I am working at a busy store with line of people thats two mins to much.

If you're going to use pennies, either A) Use a ******* coin star Or B) At least put them in those coin rolls they give you at banks. Seriously, counting out a jar of pennies would ruin my day working retail.

A lot of banks have coin machines, too.

Living in Australia and formerly working as a cashier I found it very useful that the smallest Coin here is a 5 cent coin. On another note number 4 is right it is supposed to be illegal to pay over a certain amount of money in pennies or small change, I believe it's 10 dollars in 1 cents and so on. No need for name calling 11

45- you gotta be kidding me. This is bad. Payed $16 in pennies using roles. Since this is illegal, do you think the cops are after me!?

50- no I don't think the cops are after you. However if the cashier had refused to accept the coins and you made a scene and the police were called, you would have been in the wrong and would've had whatever appropriate action required taken against you.

Nope, no such law exists! Stores can refuse business, but legal tender is legal tender. That actually is anchored by the constitution

45 - I love how you preface your entire comment by saying you live in Australia and then claim knowledge on the way American laws work. What might possibly be law in Australia is not necessarily law in the US (though, I doubt that's law anywhere).

Title 31 (Money and Finance), Subtitle IV (Money), Chapter 51 (Coins and Currency), Subchapter I (Monetary System), Section 5103 (Legal Tender) of the United States Code states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues. Foreign gold or silver coins are not legal tender for debts." What this statute means, in the words of the United States Treasury, is that "[A]ll United States money . . . is a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor." That took me all of five seconds to Google. If you have access to the Internet, ignorance is never an excuse. Legal tender is legal tender. End of story.

While it may not be illegal, some stores can impose policies in which they will refuse payments of change in excess of a certain amount. If you think I'm wrong look it up, or go to most any fast food place where they post signs that they won't accept any bill over $50. Same exact principle just with change.

82 - That is completely correct. A store can choose not to take anything but 1s if they want. My whole point was towards the people claiming it is *illegal* to pay in coins. I just hate people who spout ignorance because they heard it from someone who heard it from someone.

not the same exact principle at all. they don't accept large bills because then they won't have any change to give out to people

Not to mention that large bills have a higher tendency to be counterfeit.

Anyone else read the story where an accountant sued (& won) his client after he paid him in pennies?

Fishinaddict22 1

You can pay in change, over a certain amount has to be rolled though. Retail can choose to only take certain bills and refuse service. However, bill collectors and such cannot refuse legal tender. As stated above, if over a certain amount, it must rolled.

106 - I don't know where you live, but where I live, bill collectors most certainly can refuse legal tender. Not ONE of my credit card companies, my student loan company, or my mortgage company accepts coins or bills of any kind. I have to pay in check, cashier's check, or by credit card.

cheezebuiscut 0

But pennies are difficult lol Imagine how much the chocolate costs lets say 5.25$ lol you'd have to count 529 pennies that seems aggravating to me lol

What? Did you say you'd have to count 529 pennies for $5.25? Uh, did you drop out?

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-52/page-1.html#-5 Canadian Currency Act. Section 8 (1) Legal Tender

Damn too many comments and too many views lol Let me brief guys: a cashier can say no to too much loose pennies, nickels and dimes & can ask the person to roll them and then bring it back. However legally you cannot refuse ur currency but it is totally legal to do this way. Thank you :p

Capper, there is a rule on the website to not use texting language and to use correct grammar and spelling. You're making yourself look unintelligible. lol- not a word ur- not a word :p- not a word.

Dude you live in Australia so how would you know american laws like that if you don't even live here? And plus I find it idiotic not to have 1 cent coins. If you don't you can never give exactly precise change

Thank you 126. I mean, why would the cashier give you pennies in change of you were not allowed to use them!

Yeah ydi for being that guy that pays with pennies

126 - Are you ******** me? Obviously without a single cent currency they don't give change in such small and frankly, rather useless amounts. The US is one of few places that actually uses such pointless coins, and it actually costs more to make them than they're worth.

45 is correct people. It is not illegal to pay in pennies and nothing will happen except that cops say that the cashier is in the right to refuse. The cashier has the right to refuse to accept any amount of loose change after it passes $10.

So glad Canada is getting rid of the penny

62, you do realize I was being sarcastic right.

Kn0wledge123 21

Pennies fcking suck. Get rid of them. All prices should end with a 5 or 0. And add the tax to the damn price before we get to the line!! Ugh..

136- That is not what he said at all. Please reread the comment you're justifying.

62, that's impossible because it's not a law.

You Australians had the right idea, I wish America would kill the damn penny already. While they're at it, kill the dollar bill, too, and go with $1 and $2 coins like they have in Canada. Pennies suck. Look up CGPGrey "Death to Pennies" on Youtube for an explanation of why.

Not everyone is ignorant of things outside their own country. Unfortunately we Americans seem to specialize in that. :-(

45- that price is at 25,000 dollars i believe. Don't quote me

I know I'm probably gonna get thumbed down for this because it's totally irrelevant but omg your picture! Jonghyung and Key. Omnomnom. :P

noelykins1 19

It's illegal in some places of the US but not all. Don't speak for an entire country -.-

In the UK pennies are only legal tender up to the value of 20p. Cashiers may choose to accept more than that, but they are perfectly within their right to refuse it.

No 180, it's not illegal. Please stop before you make yourself look even more idiotic. There are rules some businesses make but that's just rules.

I dunno about the US, but in England pennies are a legal tender for all debts upto five pounds. If there isn't any such law in the US, that's too bad for the cashier. I just fail to understand why trying to pay for candies would warrant so many YDIs!

itsjustsonia 0

12- I wouldn't think of it as a big deal either if it only happened once in awhile, and it was all silver coins. However, OP had a jar just of pennies- by the time cashier counted ALL of the pennies out, there's a good chance he'd have a long line of angry customers. So, you deserve it OP. How difficult would it have been to go to the bank and get some coin rolls and do it up like that?

Pennies: every cashier's worst nightmare.

hockeyoceancity 13

And coupons... I'm a cashier at a food store... pennies and coupons... Coupons sometimes don't register, you have to put the code number in and people give like 10 coupons all the time.

So true! I work at a store and people bing in coupons for smokes and didn't read fine print on the back and then they get mad at me when they can't get what they want.

pinkandbluepsych 3

Reminds me of the time the teacher confiscated my friend's phone. He had to pay $15 for it according to the school policy so he paid in 1500 pennies

LittleAngel12 5

Ok that's nothing my grandma is not an extreme on couponing but she will bring like 70 coupons to the commissary

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
missamazinggg 12

103- if she has that many kids then she needs the coupons. Don't be a dick. I work at the movies and whenever someone has more than 2 kids I try to give them the cheapest deals and they're grateful when I'm done.

MagicGiraffe 12

Bitchy customers are high on that list too.

Their worst nightmare when people pay with them, except they wont let you go if you are 1 cent short. I say bring as many pennies as you have to pay with. At least to those cashiers that are jerks like that. :D Op should be able to pay with whatever money she had, money is money.

145- Im a cashier at a geocery store and we are completely allowed to refuse someone if they try to pay all in pennies. Our store calls it acceptable payment.

I know in Canada there's a law about if it's more then $.15 legally the store doesn't have to accept it as legal tender. People will argue, but it's an actual right from the government.

That would ruin my day having to count a whole jar of pennies. I feel worse for the cashier than I do for you.

hockeyoceancity 13
youjustmademelol 4

I was a cashier once, once a man paid in all nickels, his total was around 50 dollars, longest 10 minutes ever. I also hate 99 cents because it gets annoying handing back one stinking penny.

dude, at least take the effort to group the pennies into rolls of 50. counting loose pennies is something no cashier wants to do

RedPillSucks 31

People will do things like put 40 pennies in a roll that's suppose to contain 50. It never ceases to amaze me what people will do to rip each other off.

twisted_cherub 14

We always had to compare the length of the roll with one from the bank and feel the sides to make sure they weren't washers or something. But, if you're not gonna roll the change, for the sake of all that is good, let the cashier dump it and count it if they want. We count money for a living, we have to count it along with/after you anyway, and we're so much faster at it than you. I always either handed the person coin wrappers so they could roll it elsewhere and come back, or I dumped it on the counter and counted myself. No one wants to wait on a stoner to count $12 in change at 2am so he can get his 7 fried burritos with, "like, a ton of taco sauce".

HairyPunisher 27

As a courtesy you should have dumped your change in Coin Star or gone to your bank first. I used to work in retail and banking and I never found any reason for a customer to pay me in that fashion. You're a scum bag.

That's rude. Maybe she didn't want to pay machine to be able to use her $ and she doesn't live near a bank. I don't see any good reason for calling someone whose using legal tender a scum bag.

Calling OP a scumbag is ridiculously harsh. I highly doubt she set out to ruin the cashiers day or anything. Any decent cashier wouldn't care in the slightest about being payed in small change.

TheDrifter 23

She needed an entire jar of pennies to make her purchase. Yes, she set out to ruin the cashiers day.

Let's get straight down to business. Was it that time?

14- You leading us into the land of Nonsense now, Noor? ;) Well that's alright, *seizes his chain saw once again*, I'm still with you! ;P

Ok dumb question, but could OP comment on her own FML?

unknown_user5566 26

149- Yes, OP's are able to respond to their own FMLs.

You seriously deserved it for trying to pay in pennies. Girl, that ain't cool!

Yeah you could have at least put them in rollers.

Wasn't there a limit to the amount of pennies you could pay with?

it is a common "rule", though not law" to not pay with more than 50 of any denomination.

Ah. I remembered reading an FML a while back about about someone who got in trouble for trying to pay like 30 dollars entirely with pennies.

I work at a store and I can personally say that I hate taking change in dimes and such for anything when there is a line of people. I feel embarrest when I have to pay for something in change.

CallMeMcFeelii 13

I always feel embarrassed paying in change too. It doesn't matter if I had all quarters or pennies I just feel like a complete ass especially if I hold up other people in line.

#75, Same here. But I can sympathize with a serious chocolate craving.