Thanks…

By Anonymous - 16/03/2011 12:53 - United States

Today, I had a violent coughing fit while at the store, which caused a lady to think I was choking, grab me from behind and start doing the Heimlich maneuver incorrectly. She broke two of my ribs. FML
I agree, your life sucks 49 187
You deserved it 3 947

Same thing different taste

Top comments

True, but the Hemmlich is done to get the person choking to cough. OP was already coughing so that lady should have never started the Hemmlich maneuver.

I know right! the bitch totally deserves it I mean come on who does she think she is going around trying to save peoples lives. -.-'... OP although this is unfortunate and I do feel sorry for you I hope you don't press charges, she was honestly just trying to help.

Comments

heathersmorin 0

She needs to ask you for consent prior to performing any kinds of first aid. Whether you were laying on the ground and want to perform cpr, she need to say hey are ok and you don't respond that's implied consent, or if you were choking and you shook your head yes. You can charge the woman with assault and battery. The was no reason for her to do that. You still had sound coming out of your airway. If she was properly trained, she would have known how to handle the situation. I would press charges if I was you!!

heathersmorin 0

If your trained in CPR or first aid, and asked if it's ok prior, your covered. If you don't, your screwed. Its just the way of life!!! She didn't ask permission prior to touching him, then broke his damn ribs!!!! I'm sure you'd walk away saying "it's ok, I understand".

dude that sucks :/ i guess on the positive side, at least she tried to help you? x

SoWrongItsAnde 0

well at least there's some observant people in the world. even though they took it the wrong way

con1303 0

I would say sue for medical expenses. Any half wit knows that if you can cough you're not choking. Also, everyone should know that you're supposed to ask someone if they're choking, and then if you can help them before you try the heimlich.

Better to have 2 broken ribs, then to be dead (:

well he wasn't dying. he was just coughing. and she broke his ribs.

christa953 12

Coughing is not choking. If someone is coughing DO NOT perform the Heimlich. Only if someone is not breathing is this effective. Also everyone should learn the international choking symbol; two hands on your neck like your choking yourself. That is how you really let someone know you are choking.

it's actually battery, not assault. The law requires that some gets permission before touching someone.

Yeah, but I think this is a French site...

h4ppys3xym3 6

The lady would be protected under the Good Samaritan Act anyway, so you couldn't sue her if you wanted to and shame on everyone who says she should be. She may not have made the smartest decision, but she was honestly trying to help someone. Be thankful you weren't really choking and no one came to help...wouldn't that be unfortunate?

cha5e 0

If she was giving treatment for a condition that he actually had (or could have reasonably been assumed to have) then you'd be right. For instance, if his heart was stopped and she tried to give CPR but ended up breaking his ribs, he couldn't sue her. But every idiot knows that choking people can't cough. If she was too stupid to realize that and gave him the Heimlich when he was coughing, she is liable for his broken ribs. He should ABSOLUTELY sue her. Her stupidity broke his ribs, period.

heathersmorin 0