Thanks…

By Anonymous - 16/03/2011 12:53 - United States

Today, I had a violent coughing fit while at the store, which caused a lady to think I was choking, grab me from behind and start doing the Heimlich maneuver incorrectly. She broke two of my ribs. FML
I agree, your life sucks 49 187
You deserved it 3 947

Same thing different taste

Top comments

True, but the Hemmlich is done to get the person choking to cough. OP was already coughing so that lady should have never started the Hemmlich maneuver.

I know right! the bitch totally deserves it I mean come on who does she think she is going around trying to save peoples lives. -.-'... OP although this is unfortunate and I do feel sorry for you I hope you don't press charges, she was honestly just trying to help.

Comments

bitchmode 0

If the guy was really choking he wouidnt be able to tell the lady that she could have permission to help him. The lady was just trying to help even though she broke his ribs. At least she cared whether he was choking or not.

To #4 and all the commenters; the heimlich shouldn't break ribs when done correctly. If the fist is placed on the navel (where it should be) it should slightly move internal organs. You can sue so-called woman who broke your rips for assault or improper use of First Aid, NOT TO MENTION before assessing first aid you're legally supposed to say, "Hello, my name is ___, I know first aid. Can I help you?" Or you CAN be sued.

it should be between the navel and xyphiod process thanks for playing though

when you do the heimlich correctly, you should break two ribs and your sternum.

holymolybro 0

M'hm...So,....Did you like it?

If she didn't get your consent then she isn't covered by good samaritan laws. You can make her pay for your medical bills.

first, let me say i HATE - absolutely abhor - frivolous lawsuits. that said, sue. if only for legal/medical costs and lost wages. the why is easy - she obviously didn't know what she was doing. if she did, she would have a) asked if the op was ok first. b) she would have known that choughing is not the same as choking. doing a heimlich (or whatever pc name it uses now) without an obstructed airway is extremely harmful, and outright dangerous. to those saying "she was just trying to help", i ask you - what would you have to say to a passerby who decided to try to set your shoulder (without asking you first), because they thought it was dislocated, based on the fact you mentioned it was sore? frankly folks, it's the same effect. and so again, i say - sue, for medical/legal costs, and lost wages.

Ughhh. Idiots. Your not doing the Heimlich correctly if you don't break ribs. :/