Thanks…

By Anonymous - 16/03/2011 12:53 - United States

Today, I had a violent coughing fit while at the store, which caused a lady to think I was choking, grab me from behind and start doing the Heimlich maneuver incorrectly. She broke two of my ribs. FML
I agree, your life sucks 49 187
You deserved it 3 947

Same thing different taste

Top comments

True, but the Hemmlich is done to get the person choking to cough. OP was already coughing so that lady should have never started the Hemmlich maneuver.

I know right! the bitch totally deserves it I mean come on who does she think she is going around trying to save peoples lives. -.-'... OP although this is unfortunate and I do feel sorry for you I hope you don't press charges, she was honestly just trying to help.

Comments

What is wrong with people? Some of you would sue your own mother by the sound of it! Yes, the woman was wrong to think Heimlich was required when it clearly wasn't, but what if it HAD? She would have saved a life and been a hero. Be grateful someone cared enough to try to help in this awful 'every man for themselves' world. Broken ribs aren't that big of deal anyway, people are quite often perfectly capable of carrying on with their lives with a couple of broken ribs. If OP's work is affected maybe he can look at claiming something from personal insurance, but for goodness sake, don't sue someone who cared!

If op was actually choking, she'd probably do it incorrectly and he'd die anyway. How stupid do you have to be to think someone is choking when they're still blasting air through their lungs coughing? She should be responsible for medical bills and obligated to take the proper courses so she doesn't pull anything like that again.

You think a person who assaults another person, breaking their ribs, should not face any consequences? What the woman did was just plain stupid. If she knew how to use the Heimlich maneuver, she would have known this was not the time to use it. She was probably imitating something she saw on TV, which is seriously dangerous, and in this case, harmful. She deserves to face consequences. If she does not pay for medical expenses, then yes, she needs to be sued.

fromthesuck 8

i saw a commant saying she was only liable if she was trained which is not the case. you can be sued for performing a precedure for which you have not been officially trained and certified. i have seriously heard of cases where a person literally saved someone's life and was in turn sued for other damage caused, even though less serious then the injury prevented.

idk where that is but in quebec, we got a good samaritan act that protects u against every one trying to sue you after you tried to save him/her. you just need to look like your life is in danger. so i hope OP doesnt sie cuz if OP does, OP is a dam asshole. thank her for her good toughts, please.. thats all

Dumbass woman. Everyone with basic first aid knowledge knows that an individual isn't choking if they're making sounds...the fact that they're coughing means there's air flowing from the lungs out of the mouth. Second of all, you ALWAYS ASK THE VICTIM IF THEY ARE CHOKING. For THIS EXACT REASON.

the heimlich maneuver is frowned on in Aust. :/ strongly not recommended fyl op.

Im first-aid certified and i know that if they didn't ask YOUR permission to help YOU then they are liable for any damage, wether they caused it or not. So sue the bitch.

OCDC 9

Wow, your medical bill sure will costal-lot of money.