Thanks Mom

By megangubler - 26/05/2014 22:34 - United States - Schaumburg

Today, my mom insisted on making my lunch. She didn't know that knives are banned at my high school, and packed me a steak knife for cream cheese. I'm now suspended for 7 days, and she refuses to say that she did anything wrong. FML
I agree, your life sucks 55 686
You deserved it 5 282

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comet_Candy 23

Gosh, why didn't she just pack a plastic knife or something :/. Maybe just a spoon... FYL, OP!

Wow man, schools are harsh! Hope your mum sticks up for you eventually. FYL.

Comments

Shandra78 9

Too late now, but the back of a spoon works better.

You are lucky my school expels anybody who brings in anything that could be used as a weapon

in my high school bringing a knife would mean being expelled and possibly having the police brought in.

I read a story recently of a kindergartner being suspended for making a gun shape with his hand and saying "bang" whilst playing soldiers with a friend. An outlier , but part of the tendency to criminalise anything that you find an excuse to. Zero tolerance, like strict liability, is contrary to the basic principles of justice; it's an excuse to punish anyone the authority chooses to.

Then that'd be everything on the face of earth. People that are extremely clever can make a weapon out of anything

I think that immediate expulsion is excessive. If there is no proof of intent of harming anyone...I don't see how it can be considered criminal enough (to bring in a regular dinner knife or steak knife) to expel.

#50 - my school has a police officer patrolling the halls full time! It's a sad world, my friend.

Why would a mom pack a steak knife (esp. if only for cream cheese) in the first place? Wouldn't a butter knife have sufficed? What if it poked through your lunchbox/bag and you severely hurt or stabbed yourself? At least by packing a butter knife your mother would have a stronger case, even if it was metal. Still, since OP's mother didn't know, it is in my opinion that she technically did nothing wrong as she did not willfully break the rules (though one might argue that it falls under common sense to not bring a steak knife to school). I hope that your mother will be supportive in this OP and that the school will realize that it was all a big misunderstanding and apologize.

...apologize to both you and your mother. Sorry, the FML app cut me off before I had time to properly edit and finish my last sentence in my recent post. There was also a missing comma somewhere in there.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

but 7 days? at my high school thats each 6 classes that youve now missed 2 periods of. really hard to catch up

Well, I'm pretty sure it gets put on your school record so not a good look for future workplaces. And also you have a ton of school work to catch up on when you get back from the long absence. Suspensions should be viewed as anything but a mini holiday to stay at home doing nothing.

Maybe. Where I went to school, I was sometimes ill for 3 weeks and it was no trouble to catch up. But if suspension gets written up and stuff, then I understand.

At some schools they do not allow suspended students to make up the work. 7 day suspensions would mean multiple 0s for homework,quizzes, or tests in all your classes.

Not that I mind being thumbed down, but really, I asked a sincere question and was in no way rude and I get thumbed down? For not having the same school system? Really people?

cryssycakesx3 22

sometimes you can also arrange to get your work before hand and do it while you're out.

maybe grades? permanent record? some people actually care about their education

#137, It's really more because this site is fMYlife.com, not lets-talk-about-how-much-better-YOUR-life-is.com This wasn't meant to be harsh or anything. I just see way too many people bragging about things that aren't relevant in the OP's circumstance. #150, I did that when I knew I would be out for an appointment or whatever.

#193, I'm not bragging, just asked a sincere question because I didn't understand. But whatever people think. It's just internet.

I don't really think she did anything wrong :/ She took the time to make your lunch for you and honestly didn't know about the rule If she hadn't apologized then that's another matter

Parenting Level: "It's not my fault"...