Digging my heels in

By jj. - 03/01/2023 21:00

Today, my family dragged me to a steakhouse, knowing full well I'm vegan. I sat there, with my sad little salad, watching as they stuffed themselves with burned animal flesh and laughed at me. They wonder why I hate them all. FML
I agree, your life sucks 665
You deserved it 1 526

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Like, don't get me wrong, this is a shitty thing to do to somebody who's vegan. But that little jab about "burned animal flesh" tells me that your attitude might be a little acrid when it comes to the topic. It is entirely possible to be vegan without insulting others' choices to not be. Nevertheless, dragging someone to a restaurant where they can't eat anything (and not letting them simply not go) is absolutely a dick move.

Why do I get the feeling that the words “burned animal flesh” were stated before the laughing occurred?

Comments

Why do I get the feeling that the words “burned animal flesh” were stated before the laughing occurred?

Like, don't get me wrong, this is a shitty thing to do to somebody who's vegan. But that little jab about "burned animal flesh" tells me that your attitude might be a little acrid when it comes to the topic. It is entirely possible to be vegan without insulting others' choices to not be. Nevertheless, dragging someone to a restaurant where they can't eat anything (and not letting them simply not go) is absolutely a dick move.

I have a vegan son, and when we go to a steakhouse, he never has an issue finding something to order. Steakhouses have several options for vegans. The difference though between him and the OP I bet, is he doesn’t throw a hissy fit when we are going. I respect his choices, but he also knows that he is one of seven in the house, and when we do eat out, majority rules. Yes, we have also gone to vegan places just for him as well.

as someone who enjoys eating meat i can tell you: "burned animal flesh" is a perfectly apt and acceptable description. and taking a known vegan to a steakhouse is just a dick move. period. @mike3775: if your son is one in seven, a _fair_ way to chose restaurants would be to visit a vegan one every seventh time. after all, it wouldn't hurt the others to at least _try_ it every once in a while, would it?

My family may eat out maybe 3 times a year, so once every 7 times would be every 2 years. My son has no issues with going to steakhouses with us, because he tends to get what he wants at home, as we have accommodated his wishes in what we buy. He also contributes to the stuff purchased as well. My wife, myself, and one of his brothers who like to cook, have also learned several different vegan meals to make and do make them for him daily. The main reason we are this accommodating to him is because he came to us at 12 and said he doesn’t feel that eating meat is right, and he asked us politely if we could assist him, which we did. No snarkiness, no “burned meat flesh” type comments either, just a respectful conversation between a child and his parents. Said child is now 22, and we all get along. Ever since he was 13, and could finally be trusted enough to stay home alone, we never forced him to go. Sometimes he didn’t want to go, but most times he does and still does, because when the entire family gets to go out to eat, it’s a special occasion as it rarely happens.

If you had the strength of a carnivore, no one could drag you anywhere. You wimpy vegans need to form a flock or be dominated by carnivores and even omnivores.

apply for any and every job you can find. even if your over qualified or it pays less. get 2 jobs if you have to. after you get settled start paying off that debt so you can have a savings

Anyone can be a selfish jerk who turns up their nose at other people’s choices - vegan or carnivore. I have a feeling that there is some obnoxious behavior on both sides of this story.

Next time take your salad to the car and eat it there.

As a parent, I expect this went down like this: we’re going out to a family dinner and you need to go with us. I get that you’re vegan but the rest of us aren’t and it’s not your turn to decide the restaurant. Your choices don’t dictate what the rest of the family does or doesn’t do. I guarantee that she’s trying to force her values and decision on her parents and/or siblings and acts entitled and angry any time they insist on her accompanying them. Yes if she’s at home she can be expected to go on family outings, and while she chose to be vegan she can’t insist on her family and everyone else to be vegan or that they only eat at vegan places around her. The sooner she stops making a scene and trying to force her values on others the happier everyone will be, including her. The same goes for evangelical Christians, vegans, or anyone else with non mainstream beliefs. You can live your own beliefs without weaponizing them to shove down someone else’s throat.

Based solely on your wording, I'm guessing you're one of thooooose vegans. You know, one of the ones that keep judging people and going off about how horrible they are for eating burnt animal flesh. This is probably paybacks because they're sick of your judgemental shit. Maybe enjoy your choices and leave others to theirs in peace

One of my son's is Vegan and one is not. I am mostly eating Vegan but still get cravings. For 5 years now at every holiday or any restaurant we go to I always make sure there are always Vegan options. For our celebrations at home I have both options. I would say 95% of peo0le that have tried our Vegan dishes loved them! With desserts you really can't tell.

uhhhh..... you could've just not gone but if they literally "dragged" you then YDI for not screaming "kidbapped" like a banshee....