Considerate

By Anonymous - 01/05/2022 16:00

Today, my roommate constantly heckles me for using too much water, but I’m super allergic to Gain laundry detergent and any softener, which she uses a ton of. She’s the reason why I have to run an extra load of laundry every week to clean out the machine. FML
I agree, your life sucks 903
You deserved it 93

Same thing different taste

Top comments

By confronting your roommate, you'd have nothing to Gain and everything to lose. Just take your wash to a laundromat.

Indeed, best not to go against the Tide and find oneself in a Whirlpool.

Comments

By confronting your roommate, you'd have nothing to Gain and everything to lose. Just take your wash to a laundromat.

Indeed, best not to go against the Tide and find oneself in a Whirlpool.

Wadlaen 23

Your roommate shouldn't even be using Gain if you have allergic reactions to it. She should have switched laundry soap types; period. She does not NEED Gain, while you have ALLERGIC REACTIONS to it. Probably a wash out now cause you've already started living together, but next time you get a roommate you NEED to lay down ground rules where you both respect each others' MEDICAL REACTIONS. My favorite fruit is oranges but since my best friend (who comes over multiple times a week) is allergic to them, so I don't buy them anymore. Because I'm not an asshole.

Lillanthae34 7

Send roommate a text/ email reminding them of your allergies (gotta have those receipts). Let an allergic reaction happen. Go to hospital & give them the bill. Depending on how bad the reaction is get police involved. If they don’t want to learn, let ‘em learn the hard way.

kitten79TX 5

"Get the police involved," really? Since OP knows the roomate uses the detergent, and has a way to avoid the allergic reaction, it's likely that they would spend thousands of dollars on legal fees and would lose. They MIGHT, however, be entitled to break the lease and leave the roomate liable for the rent alone. O.P., I hope you're mature enough that you've TOLD the roomate why you use so much water and have asked them to switch detergents? On the other hand, I'd hope they were mature enough that if you HAD told them, they'd switch. Have you told them?

in this situation, without anymore more detail....if you haven't spoken with her about this previously, this is on you. if you have and they are continually ignoring you, but they own the washer and dryer and are renting to you, I would talk with the landlord and see if you can break the lease if you can afford it, otherwise if you cannot I would reccomend here forward saving your quarters and going to a laundrymat, might have to pay more, but you won't have to worry about looking for your own apartment or more unanswered requests because the roommate is living in their own place while renting to you. maybe even offer to pay more on the water bill so that way you can still do your extra wash without having to go to a laundry mat. it would be nice for everyone to look out for you or others, however no one has you or others in mind, only themselves, if it doesn't bother them, they won't see it.

maybe ask if she has a load of towels or blankets that she hasn't gotten to yet and that way you can do your extra load while also getting your stuff clean how you need?