Will you…

By jake - 12/08/2012 15:49 - United States - Bend

Today, I invited my girlfriend over to a family lunch, planning to propose to her at just the right moment. My family was in on it, including my apparently disapproving mom, who kept causing a scene to grab my girlfriend's attention every time I went to pull out the ring. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 852
You deserved it 2 813

Same thing different taste

Top comments

what a bitch. I'm sorry op. wish the best for you and your girlfriend/fiance!

Wow your mother sounds horrible to do that...just propose behind her back and see how that makes her feel! It's your love life not hers. Good luck with your proposal! :)

Comments

gettingmarried 3

Why did you plan to propose during a family lunch?? Really, I don't get it. I wouldn't want to be asked during a family lunch, it's a private moment, and it's definitely not romantic! Ask her when it's just the two of you.

I agree. It should be private. What if she says no!

Some girls want everyone to see. He knows his lady best, maybe she wanted something like that

26 & 81 - Good thing he isn't proposing to either of you. (:

And it's not even *her* family. Being with your family and not hers makes the proposal more about you, less about her.

Here's what you do, you pull your mom aside, tell her to stop it or she's not getting grandchildren.

That's horrible! Hope that you'll be able to propose to her soon and that she'll say yes. Also, do you have any idea why your mother disapproves?

Sanch101 7

A family lunch is really not a good place to propose. Take her somewhere romantic and memorable and give it a go.

Oh gosh, that sucks.... Didja ever propose??

thugzy510 0

Why would you propose in front of your family especially if you obviously know your mom disapproves idiot a nice dinner would have been sufficient

philbelfrage 13

"apparently disapproving" meaning he didn't know she disapproved before

thugzy510 0

Then why would he propose to her in front of his mom without knowing wat his mom thinks of her

Because some moms mind their own business. When someone is in "love" and you disapprove, your kid is not going to agree with you and say your right. Your kid is then going to hate you and try to prove you wrong.

thugzy510 0

All in all u don't propose in front of your parents even if they approve or not Proposing to the woman you love should be something special between you and your soon to be fiancé

elletex 8

That's not necessarily true. A lot of people involve family members and even close friends in a proposal. There's nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't mind having both of our families present when my boyfriend proposes. In a way, it is their business. Two family being joined and becoming one and all that jazz. But I tend to me old-fashioned, I guess. I'd love for my boyfriend to ask for my parents' blessing before he proposed to me. Oh well.

Maybe he wanted it to be special and for his family to be there to celebrate.

thugzy510 0

Also # 13 is HOT just saying

olpally 32

Keep it in your pants, creeper.

Is there a reason your mom doesn't like her tho? My sons girlfriend has no manners, respect and thinks she walks on water and needs catered to. She is not fun or funny and a bit of a downer. I'd die inside he he married someone like that.

I know what you mean! My son married the most miserable biatch! Now, we have no relationship! She literally took him away from his family!

rudegirlmania 10

I cant decide if the first one is a troll....so here: What the two of y'all need to learn is that it's not your relationships. Your sons are choosing these women to stay by their sides for their entire lives, not yours. As for 45, your son is a grown ass man, if he wants to go see you, he will. His actions are not to be blamed on anyone but himself...unless of course the woman is holding a gun to his head every time you call...in which case, family therapy might be beneficial...

45 - your picture is tripping me out. There is like this ghost man on top of the car. Oh and sorry about your son, no mother deserves that.

elletex 8

No, it's not her relationship, but still, if your son or daughter married a horrible, miserable person, would you be happy for them? I wouldn't.

49: I can tell your one of the bitchy girls who think they know it all that mothers don't want their son on a relationship with.

hopefully everything works in your favor,I would've give my mom some combos to the dome.

Maybe you should listen to your Mom! We're usually right about these things!

Right or wrong, it's still his relationship and his life. As a mother, you should absolutely voice your opinion to him (in private) but in the end it's his decision and a loving mother should support her child.

No, not always. My mom has tried to blame me not talking to her on people I dated when I first stopped contact. Truth was I stopped contact before dating them and stopped the contact because she's a horrible human being and just refuses to admit it. I saw the side you're talking about with my dad and his family. My mom wouldn't allow him much contact. So yes sometimes what your saying is right, but not always. Parents should try talking to their children before assuming its the other half. There could have been something going on that you didn't know about.

My partner's mother doesn't approve of me and makes it very clear every chance she gets, despite my university education, steady well paying job, lack of drug habit, and respectful attitude towards his family (even though they treat me like crap). She feels this way because I am a different race to their family- not because of anything else. Does this mean she's right because she's a mother? I'd argue no. Some mothers just can't let go of their sons and think they know best even if they don't.

The title "mother" isn't the same as "always right. Almost everyone can give birth to a child, that don't make you a mother. My mum didn't like my ex, but she respected me and my decisions. Whether she was right or not is not the important part since it was me who was involved not her.