Will you…

By jake - 12/08/2012 15:49 - United States - Bend

Today, I invited my girlfriend over to a family lunch, planning to propose to her at just the right moment. My family was in on it, including my apparently disapproving mom, who kept causing a scene to grab my girlfriend's attention every time I went to pull out the ring. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 852
You deserved it 2 813

Same thing different taste

Top comments

what a bitch. I'm sorry op. wish the best for you and your girlfriend/fiance!

Wow your mother sounds horrible to do that...just propose behind her back and see how that makes her feel! It's your love life not hers. Good luck with your proposal! :)

Comments

So what did she hope to accomplish? You're going to propose to her anyway. What an ass!

Tell your smother to lay off, & that she should've said something before if she didn't like her.

Saying something before probably wouldn't have mattered. While it's nice to have your parents get along with your fiance(e), it doesn't mean it will always happen. A lot of people get married despite the inlaws' wishes. In the end it's between the man and the woman.

theannak 7

Wow. If you didn't propose, don't bring your mom next time you try, and if you did, Good job!!!

Yo, sort these things out beforehand...or don't include her in the proposal scenario.

gingerwithsoul_fml 6

Your mom is just trying to give you help... Unwanted help, but help.

Am I the only who thinks that maybe the mother disapproves for a good reason? My family didn't approve of my ex husband and...well... I should have listened to them. Then again if it's just your mom who objects to your relationship and no one else, that makes it seem a little more likely that she's just mean and overly judgmental.

Omg I'm sorry, my fiancé was lucky enough to be able to propose without my family knowing. My mom has been trying to break us up since because she didn't get to chose who I married. Stay strong!

RochelleRedvines 8

It's not good to propose in public. The person you're proposing to always feels pressured to say yes, even if it's not what she wants. And then you get stuff like this. And then you dejectedly post it on FML.

LittleGreenPaola 23

I agree. YDI for trying to propose in public, especially in front of your family! she would have felt very uncomfortable. you should do it in private, it's also more romantic! ;)