By Anonymous - 19/12/2013 22:49 - Australia - Kensington

Today, my mother decided to inform me that she doesn't believe canned food can have an expiry date and that the food is still okay to eat years after the 'supposed' expiry date. She's probably been cooking my dinner with expired food for over 17 years. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 937
You deserved it 5 009

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Canned food is good for a long time after the expiration date. Just sayin'. Manufactures print the "best by" date, but that doesn't mean it's spoiled even months later.

Comments

Technically canned food is non perishable until it is opened. with the amount of perservatives they use to can things like fruits And vegetables you could definitely eat them years after what is actually only a "best before date"

nannyRayRay 14

Ever water "expires" you will be ok

Canned goods and dried food are good years after the "best by"-date. They last for-freaking-ever. It's just that the manufacturers are obliged to put some kind of date on them by law. There's a huge difference between "expiration date" and "best before". Huge. Canned goods last between 8 and 25 years depending on the amonut of meat and dairy. Your mom is probably right. Sorry, you're wrong on this one!

Canned food lasts for years after the best by date.

chera3773 2

My mother did this for years, after I finished my Master's degree my father and I had had enough of this bull so we threw out the food that expired when I was in grade school through high school, no more mystery dinners at my parent's house.

martin8337 35

And here you are still alive. Expiration dates are for the stores, which is a sell by date.

To be fair, canned food lasts a damn long time. It's law that any food products have a 'best by' date on them, but for many things (canned goods, pickles, fizzy, and lollies for example) they're perfectly fine for a significant period after - even years, in some cases. We once found some fizzy that was about two years past its printed date - the sugar had settled a bit at the bottom, but other than that, it was fine.

She must be right since u r still alive.

Well if its been years of your life, guess she might be right?