By Anonymous - 19/08/2015 15:00 - South Africa

Today, my husband and I told my parents that I finally managed to conceive. My mom burst into tears of joy and said how great it was that she's finally going to be a "real" grandma, all within earshot of our adopted and now-devastated daughter. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 909
You deserved it 2 172

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Your daughter should cheer up! You can't choose your mother but she was chosen by you :)

isabelf 17

Some people can't keep their mouths shut.

Comments

hbs11476 9

What a horrible thing for her to say. I hope you corrected her loudly enough for your daughter to hear.

Adoption is as strong relation as birth. Weather your Mom likes it or not, adopted daughter is a true relative of every member of the family, not just you and your husband, but both grandma's, granddads, all cousins, aunts, uncles etc. etc. Actually apart from Mom being rude, there is nothing to "FML" about: you have your daughter and husband, she has you and dad, you all are going to have one more family member, all good. And quite often it happens that a late baby kinda opens the flood gate and more keep coming (after decades of unsuccessful trying).

Congrats to you, but I feel that this is an FML for your sister

NellieeNell 18

This is really an FML for your daughter. Poor thing

Astrobomb 21
saffy66 34

Yep. Nothing like being adopted and having relatives dismiss you because you 'don't count'. I feel your daughter's pain, OP.

oh my goodness thats awful! i have a daughter to another man and when my husband and i got pregnant i was so scared my mother-in-law would love the blood granddaughter more. she totally loves them the same. maybe your mom just was excited and not thinking. not thinking at all. poor kid.

backdoorman010 9

wow even I have to say that's ******. atleast say it in private and not in front of the kid. wow

Oh I am so sorry OP. I have a sister that is adopted and for us there is no difference, the only time she feel 'different' is when outside people say shit like that. Keep loving her and enjoy this time in your lives! Congrats on your daughter and new baby!

That's really ******. A lot of adopted kids probably already feel awful and unloved for being given up by parents, or sad and lonely if their parents died and blood family didn't want them or couldn't care for them. To hear things from your adopted family on top of that? So sad. Your mom's a bitch..