By Anonymous - 19/08/2015 15:00 - South Africa

Today, my husband and I told my parents that I finally managed to conceive. My mom burst into tears of joy and said how great it was that she's finally going to be a "real" grandma, all within earshot of our adopted and now-devastated daughter. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 909
You deserved it 2 172

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Your daughter should cheer up! You can't choose your mother but she was chosen by you :)

isabelf 17

Some people can't keep their mouths shut.

Comments

As someone who was adopted by my stepfather and always referred to as "One of Pat's kids" by my grandma, I feel her pain. It's so hurtful to not understand why someone you love wholeheartedly does not love you back in the same way. Later on I realized that I didn't need her approval. I kept the lines open and always wrote her when I wrote my 'real' grandma (though I never thought of her like that). It never mattered. What matters most is that you love her and cherish her and if she is treated differently, you be ready to remove that pain from her life. I wish my parents had.

I feel your pain too. I was adopted myself. Talk to her about it. Even though she knows you're not her parents, you watched her grow up and raised her as if she was your daughter

Oh no. It sucks that she had to find out that way, OP.

The FML isn't that that's how her daughter found out she's adopted, it's that the grandmother said the child isn't really her grandchild since she's adopted.

serslybro 20

Your story sound exactly like mine! We found out on Mother's Day that after trying for 9 years we are pregnant. We told our parents and my father in law said he couldn't wait to have a true grandchild! Thank god our daughter who is adopted wasn't in the room! I know he didn't mean anything by it really. He has 3 granddaughters 2 from my sister in law who is his stepdaughter and out daughter who was adopted when she was 1. I think sometimes parents just don't think I honestly don't think she meant it to be hurtful. Even though it came out that way and your daughter happened to hear it :/ Good luck in your pregnancy! And remember to keep your daughter as involved as possible so she doesn't feel like she's being replaced. ;)

To all the people saying that her daughter shouldn't be upset and should just be 'proud to have been picked', her daughter might be too young to really get that (Of course we don't know that for sure, but it's a distinct possibility)

My half brothers bio mom recently reconnected with him. He has a daughter, and she's met his bio mom a few times. My bros sister is pregnant, and their mom keeps saying how glad she is to finally have a grand kid. Point is, at least your daughter has a mom that wants her and chose her, some people just have moms that don't want them around. She's lucky to have you, make sure she knows that you're lucky too.

saraaa2552 15

Wow you're mom is extremely rude

That's such a despicable thing to say to an adopted child... Some people better keep their mouths shut

Oh my goodness that is horrific your Mum deserves a slap in the face. Your poor daughter :(

Sorry OP! Your mother should really ADOPT tact next time. Whaaaa? Too soon?

leogachi 15

OP, your mother is a bad person. I'm glad the apple fell far from the tree.