By Anonymous - 30/04/2013 17:55 - United States - Hartford

Today, my guidance counselor told me that I'll have to join my school's special education needs sector. This is because I can't attend school properly due to chronic issues with severe pain. So much for my 3.9 GPA and being in the top 5% of my class. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 271
You deserved it 3 360

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Im sure theres is something you can do to avoid that , with grades like that you're school can't let it happen!

Comments

01Ben21 10

That sounds legally ****** up. The disability act should cover you on this.

shortandproud13 14

Fight it. There is a federal law about the number of students allowed to receive special education services. There is another that gives students right to the least restrictive environment for learning (IDEA 2004 I believe). By putting you in the program, they would be restricting you unnecessarily.

Please tell me you didn't quote IDEA without knowing what you're talking about. Oh, you did. It has nothing to do with special education. In order to receive any benefits for health impairments he is listed under special Ed. And no, there aren't limits like that. Don't quote law if you don't understand it.

Special needs does not mean your stupid or retarded. It just means in order for you to continue your education, you will need some more personalize system, this coulda just mean home school, or school assisted home school, perhaps a tutor, to teach you the current lesson at home. Again not slow or stupid. Steven Hawkins condition qualifies as special needs, those being the wheelchair and computer voice box. And he is considered one of the top physics minds of the world. Don't give up, adapt

Dealing with a chronic illness, especially one that causes pain beyond sucks. Some days it can be impossible to keep in good spirits, especially when you feel like it is taking normalcy from you. While it may not seem like it now, it is good that arrangements are being made to work with you. If you are missing a lot of time, it can eventually effect your grades. It's better to stop it before it happens. I know how it feels to lose a normal life from a painful chronic illness, op. I can tell you though, it does get easier to handle the changes that are made to adapt to life with one.

OP I just want to let you know that no matter how hard it is to accept that other people see you as disabled in some way, the additional help schools and universities provide with disabilities services are invaluable and will only accelerate your success. I am 22 years old and I also suffer with severe chronic joint pain, I've lived with it for 9 years now. I've been on strong painkillers for a long time, and occasionally struggle to walk any distance. I have a connective tissue disorder and constantly experience injuries. Recently my condition has deteriorated following a spinal fracture. I feel shame and embarrassment but I have to now use a walking stick, and require help with simple things like shopping and cooking. I have been studying in healthcare, an integrated course where students complete their masters at the same time as the undergraduate program; not in any way easy, and I'm certainly not academically challenged. If it weren't for the support of the disabilities services I would have left university long ago, but they have helped me achieve my dreams. I will be graduating a year late, but I WILL graduate. I sincerely hope you let the school make allowances for you because of chronic pain, because I know from experience it can be incredibly damaging to your confidence and energy levels. Chronic pain also chips away at your social, sexual and professional life. Take that step and take the help, there is no shame in it.

leggie913 6

U r joining the section to help u with attendance, having homework lessened n stuff like that. Colleges don't have to know bout that unless u disclose it, n u may need same modifications if ur medical issues don't change. Looks like they're following the law n not letting u fail for something u have no control over; rejoice Op

leggie913 6

Will b discriminating if they didn't allow u to graduate with a 3.9 or better GPA

KattAlex 4

You can be under the special needs sector and still be in general education classes. They will most likely just eliminate due dates for you so you are not penalized for turning in assignments late. I have ADHD which requires my teachers to give me extended time on tests and assignments. I can also have assignments changed to suit me by request though I rarely use this benefit.

You're in the top 5% with only a 3.9? I have a 4.3 and I'm barely in the top 20% :/

I'm a 4.0 and im not even in the top 5%, but I have a big school. How many people go to yours?