By Anonymous - 30/04/2013 17:55 - United States - Hartford

Today, my guidance counselor told me that I'll have to join my school's special education needs sector. This is because I can't attend school properly due to chronic issues with severe pain. So much for my 3.9 GPA and being in the top 5% of my class. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 271
You deserved it 3 360

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Im sure theres is something you can do to avoid that , with grades like that you're school can't let it happen!

Comments

You do know that's not a bad thing........do some research before you go judging things. You, by law, in order to receive assistance by the school for your physical ailment, have to have the proper paperwork to do so. Meaning special Ed, because you would be receiving special Ed services. Don't be ignorant. It's insulting.

Dear Anonymous, I just had to post here even though this is a month old because you haven't gotten the right information from the other posters. In some states, excessive absences means you won't get credit for your classes and that means you won't be able to graduate on time. In NJ it is something like 16 absences per class per year. It is state law and nothing to do with your own school. Your counselor should have explained to you that you need to be classified as a special education student, with an IEP, to be able to miss school a lot because of an illness. It has nothing to do with anything else. Look at it as a technicality! And keep up the great work! A chronic illness is a terrible challenge and you should be so proud to be doing so well!

That won't change. I was near the top of my class with a kick-ass GPA when I to switched over to special ed. You're still graded the same way more or less, but with accommodations.

miyaviichan 27

I feel bad for the OP but I couldn't help but think that a 3.9 at my high school would barely get you in the top 20%... Oh the joys and sorrows of being in a competitive college preparatory. And I was a mediocre student... I'm pretty sure my class rank was in the lower half.

This can't be right. They're trying to mainstream vegetables and shit-flinging autists, because mummy and daddy want to pretend they have a normal child. Surely they can accommodate someone who has all their faculties.

rabid_otaku 29

I'm in that same group, just because I have depression so they think I'm mentally retarted. I get straight A's.

If you are unable to attend class that means you have a "special educational need" ... The class is not just for people who have learning problems