By Anonymous - 30/04/2013 17:55 - United States - Hartford

Today, my guidance counselor told me that I'll have to join my school's special education needs sector. This is because I can't attend school properly due to chronic issues with severe pain. So much for my 3.9 GPA and being in the top 5% of my class. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 271
You deserved it 3 360

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Im sure theres is something you can do to avoid that , with grades like that you're school can't let it happen!

Comments

It's illegal to put students in special education when they do not qualify. If you qualify, you will need to be placed in the least restrictive environment (LRE), which means you can have special education services that help you with your learning. This can simply be allowing you more time to complete your assignments, which could be deemed necessary due to your pain. Your parent or guardian must sign permission forms for the school to give ANY sort of special education services. Your GPA will not go down due to the services. Being in special education does not mean you are learning disabled, just that you have some sort of disability (like the pain) that can negatively impact your learning. This doesn't seem true, so fight it if you don't want anything. Get your parent to say you don't need it. I graduate on Friday with a degree in special education. Forcing it is illegal, and that has been instilled into my brain for the past 4 years!

I'm in the same boat you are! I scored a 25 on my act and have a 3.7 gpa. they tried to put my in a different program because I "get easily distracted" just move schools..

good thing you did not see a shiny object.

I don't know a whole lot about those types of programs, but when I was in school if you missed too many days you would automatically fail. It sounds to me that your school is putting you in the program to accommodate your situation and keep you from failing. It doesn't mean they think you're stupid.

I had the same problem. See what your school can do about home teaching. You can do the work from home and still be in regular classes

Ultimate_No 7

Teacher unions are just for the teachers. They aren't government related. Unions work a bit differently in capitalist nations.

Do you have amplified pain syndrome?

Chronic pain issues are still so misunderstood considering how many people suffer with it daily. Fight for your right to stay in your mainstream classes OP - your counsellor sounds like s/he needs to be given some reading material on what you deal with on a daily basis.

Chronic pain issues are still so misunderstood considering how many people suffer with it daily. Fight for your right to stay in your mainstream classes OP - your counsellor sounds like s/he needs to be given some reading material on what you deal with on a daily basis.

Holy shit, Bane is that you? Jks hope you work something out :)

In the four states I've lived in, "special education" isn't just for slow learners, but for anyone who needs "special," individualized education. Gifted and talented programs are part of special ed. Regular ed is for average students.