By Anonymous - 01/07/2014 04:26 - United States - Murfreesboro

Today, after losing his job, I reassured my boyfriend by telling him I'd rather be with him living in a cardboard box than to be without him. He responded by telling me he'd rather be dead. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 414
You deserved it 6 087

Same thing different taste

Top comments

CallMeWindSock 24

I think he might still be a little angry about his job

His reaction isn't about you OP. He lost his job and can't provide like men believe they should so he's more likely to feel like a failure right now. Dont take it personally.

Comments

CallMeWindSock 24

I think he might still be a little angry about his job

Yeah. Most guys think for some reason that they're obligated to earn money because they're the men. I hope that OP doesn't take it personally. He's probably just upset and feels pretty bad about himself:( Hope you guys find a solution!:)

iOceanus 18

14: When you grow up in a society which dictates that you have to be the sole provider of your family otherwise you're a failure, you take it pretty harshly. It's hard to break free of societal norms.

Yea, I was about to say that MOST men feel the need to provide for their family, as it is as it is implied by social protocol. Op's boyfriend probably feels like less of a man now that he can't provide for his family and might be ridiculed by peers, especially if OP has a job while he doesn't.

I should hope that most people feel obligated to earn money, rather than leaching off those who do.

Cwizer 17

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Not when your partner feels low and like they're hitting rock bottom, during the time they need you the most.

mm i dont think so. my fiance lost his job in january and has been searching non stop with no leads. im the only one working while he does house work etc. he gets down alot and crabby and let it roll off me bc i know its tough for him bc hes used to working. i could not imagine leaving someone for something out of their control.

iOceanus 18

13: I'm pretty sure that OP's boyfriend feels this way because he wants to provide at least a place to live for OP, not wanting to let her down. I don't think he meant anything negative towards OP. That's how I see it, anyway.

I know, I posted another comment (#8) in the forum saying the same thing

badluckalex 23

@3-if you leave someone you love just because times are tough thats low of you

Cwizer 17

That's my bad, I read it wrong. I thought it was the OP who lost her job and the boyfriend was not being supportive.... Sorry everyone

Wizardo 33

He'll probably be depressed for a few days obviously. Make sure not to get into a crazy financial struggle in the meantime though.

Aww I'm sure he's depressed now but still doesn't give him the right to say stuff like that :/

RedPillSucks 31

Maybe he meant he'd rather be dead than be without her? No?

I'm sure he meant he'd rather be dead then homeless.

honeybeeki 14

It's a guys need to be a provider. Telling him that you'll be with him in a card board box would make him feel like he is not doing his job as the provider because he has his girl living in a box. I know it's hypothetical but he just lost his job so that comment wouldn't make him feel better. If she wanted to comfort him, she needs to show him support and reassurance that he'll get another job.

drunkmunkey 24

Tell him to get life insurance first so you can support yourself that way

That response is almost as bad as his response. They don't need to drag each other down.

His reaction isn't about you OP. He lost his job and can't provide like men believe they should so he's more likely to feel like a failure right now. Dont take it personally.

He is just depressed. Give it a couple days. He will feel a lot better knowing he has a girlfriend that will stick by his side no matter what

He is just upset because he felt ashamed give him a day or two.

I don't think you should take this personally OP. It's more of a job concern than a relationship concern.