By susan - 17/11/2012 22:31 - United States - Naperville

Today, my daughter had a meltdown when I told her I donated some of her old toys to Goodwill. It turns out Toy Story has taught her that toys have feelings and that she has a meaningful relationship with them. She's in her teens. FML
I agree, your life sucks 17 887
You deserved it 27 139

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Quick! Go retrieve them, they will be eternally grateful.

Toys are memories. You should have at least talked to her about it first.

Comments

The girls in her teens, she no longer needs the toys whereas the person they are going to, clearly needs them more than she does, wtg mom giving to charity is better than 'not asking' a TEENAGER to give away her old toys to help children whom obviously need it!! Moms house, moms rule!

Hiimhaileypotter 52

They're still not OP's toys to give away! Asking her daughter to get together old toys she no longer likes is one thing - it's entirely another to just go through and pick and choose as she pleases when it's not even her own decision. I have a stuffed dog my grandmother gave me when I was three, as well as a few others that mean a whole lot to me. I'm 17. Do you think it would be okay for my mom to just decide to give away that very sentimental stuffed dog - just because I'm 17? I think that's pretty wrong, myself.

I'm sure the mother would not go and get toys that are of sentimental value and give them away! The girl is being selfish by bitching about her toys going to someone who needs then and would probably use them better than her, and I think that's pretty disgraceful! And the OP only said some of her toys, I bet the girl never even thought about the toys until they were gone.

How does the OP know which toys have sentimental value? The toys belonged to OPs daughter, she had no right to just give them away.

carminecris89 13

87 There's nothing wrong with her being selfish. If her stuff holds more value to her there is nothing wrong with that. The needs of others shouldn't precede her own needs or wants. It's not her mothers place to give her daughters stuff to charity. Just because its charity doesn't make it okay.

Cause it's her daughter! She will know if her daughter has any old toys that mean something to her!! I understand the whole she maybe should have asked first but the bigger picture here is she gave old toys away to help kids who probably don't have alot, rather than a teenager having them, who doesn't need them or throwing them in the trash!

Surely the needs of others who don't have as much as you is of more priority then a selfish teenagers who doesn't need the toys!!

Did you tell your parents everything? I certainly didn't. OP has no way to know if her daughter had an attachment to some toy or another. It's nice that the toys went to someone who might enjoy them, but that doesn't make what the OP did right. Surely OP's daughter should be more of a priority than a random stranger.

carminecris89 13

99 If you feel a loss then the less fortunate shouldn't take precedent. No one else can dictate what happens with your stuff. Thinking someone who has more should give something up to someone needy is warped. If you appreciate something you shouldn't have to give it up because society dictates the needs of the less fortunate come before your own. It's easy for the mother to be charitable when it's not her stuff.

Ye my parents know what is of value and importance to me! I think of it like this, she no longer needs the toys and the parent, being the adult in charge took the initiative that at this time of year, when some familys cant afford to spend hundreds of dollars on toys that she was going to get rid of some of her daughters old toys and give them to less fortunate people, honestly if my mum did that when I was a teenager I wouldn't care seen as someone was gonna get good use out of them?

And who's to say the mother didn't donate her own stuff too? The poor and needy who genuinely cannot help themselves definitely need old toys etc more than I or that teenager do! I'm not saying she should give out her daughters prized processions but a bunch of old toys near Christmas is not the end of the world!

You completely missed the point of #110's post. It's easy to give away someone else's things because you don't have an attachment to them. It doesn't hurt to lose stuff that isn't yours anyway. The OP gave things away that weren't hers and she had no way to be sure that her daughter didn't want any of it. Her intentions were good but her methods were faulty. For the daughter, it's not the end of the world to lose some toys but that doesn't mean that it can't hurt her. Just because you would have been fine with it doesn't mean that everyone else would be.

megan1rose, you sound like a selfish teenager yourself. I volunteered at a clothing donation site my entire summer, and most of my days consisted of throwing out old ratty garbage that people threw in their "donations". Also, I think you don't know how Goodwill works. They resell the donations that people give them and THEN the money goes to the underprivileged. Even if the toys went to the poor and needy directly, they don't need this crap. The poor and needy require food and shelter. Unless the toys were actually food or blankets in disguise, that would be a poor excuse to give someone's attachments away.

96. I'm almost entirely sure that my parents don't know which of my old toys have the most sentimental value to me. How am I sure? Because they've thrown out a lot of the ones that were the most sentimental to me. Granted, I got a few of them back after crying because I couldn't sleep without them but there are still ones that are gone. Forever. I'll eventually forget them though which is sad because, who wants to forget their childhood?

Why don't we give away your possessions to Goodwill without even bothering to ask you? Remember if you get upset, you're selfish!

87- obviously she DID chose the toys with value, otherwise she wouldnt have been complaining

mrsquiggles6900 5

Boo Megan, you suck!! *throws popcorn*

Gee, the word "selfish" sure does get thrown around a lot these days, huh? There's nothing wrong with a person looking out for themselves and their own happiness. And if the daughter's toys gave her happiness, then why is that a bad thing? What's wrong with being happy? What's selfish about having sentimental value on things? After all...life is short. There's no point in giving other people happiness if it makes you miserable in return. Feel free to be charitable, but don't do it at your own expense. That's not what charity is about, and that's not what Goodwill wants. A cash donation from the OP would have been far more generous for a needy family than getting rid of toys that weren't hers to get rid of.

wubbazugg 5

Why would you do that? Letting go is on her, not you. Don't be a bitch.

YDI for giving away items that belonged to your daughter without discussing it with her first, even if she is in her teens. Decisions to get rid of ones personal belongings should ALWAYS be up to the owner.

akitiagito 0

Well maybe you should've asked her which ones she wanted. My mom threw away all if my childhood toys, I don't mind about all of them but I had this small penguin that I grew up with but she threw it away.

OhDearBetrayal 25

Poor little penguin:( I actually find this really sad.

MAN! A MAN! WHAT ARE YOU THINKING!?!?!?!

I hate when my mom gives my childhood thjngs away..

You should have asked. That was an extremely inconsiderate thing you did.

Can I just ask how you can say giving old toys to goodwill is inconsiderate, people are missing the bigger picture here? She donated toys to help people who need them much more than a teenager needs a bunch of toys she probably never plays with? I understand people saying she maybe should have asked first but all in all the OP did right here by not just throwing the toys away but giving them to some poor kids who don't have jack shit else in there lives, rather than a teenager who doesn't need them!

Giving to goodwill isnt a bad thing, but its the fact that she donated someone elses things. She could have donated her own clothes or something else. It was inconsiderate because she did not ask to make sure they didnt mean anything to her daughter before donating it

I doubt those old toys will have much resale value at Goodwill anyways. If you really want to do something, donate to Oxfam or something directly.

I find you to be very close-minded and inconsiderate. For example, OP sounds like an inconsiderate person. Just because YOUR parents know EVERYTHING about YOU, does NOT mean that's how it is for everyone else. Sounds like OP obviously did NOT know which toys she was attached to. On top of that, what if OP's daughter still DID have use of the toys? What if she was stressed out all of the time, and they helped relax her? What if she had abandonment issues and they were a comfort thing? Or maybe she just liked them because she had good memories, and loved them dearly. I have a stuffed animal I've had since birth, I'm in my twenties, and if someone even thought about touching it WITHOUT my permission, yeah, I'd be pissed. It's very precious to me. Are you honestly trying to say you have NO precious items WHATSOEVER? Nothing you'd ever even begin to be upset about if someone took away? Not even a toy. Just one of your possessions. Because chances are, what you feel for that thing, is how OP's daughter felt about her toys. Yeah, MAYBE OP's daughter is a selfish bitch who just wanted to mess with her mother. Or, maybe, there's a side you obviously don't want to consider: OP is the selfish bitch who, instead of donating her own things, took her daughter's even though they were not hers to give. What if your mother gave away your dog without telling you? YOUR dog, not hers, and she never asked you. That could have been the attachment we're talking about here. Maybe I'm wrong, but maybe you are, too. Point is, we DON'T know. So, please try and be respectful to other people who do not have your same beliefs/home situation.

dancer4life143 13

93, actually, YOU'RE the one missing "the big picture". The big picture is that she didn't even think about how her daughter would feel about it. Yes, donating to goodwill is great, especially around the holidays, but that doesn't mean it's okay to give away her daughters childhood! My grandpa got rid of all of my moms toys except for one toy, and it always hurt my mom that she couldn't share her childhood toys with me when I was younger. I can't imagine how I would feel if my mom donated my toys without even having the consideration to ASK me! I'd be more than happy to donate a lot of my old toys to charity, just not the ones that are important to me: the ones that helped MW grow up, that made me feel safe when I was scared, that made me feel happy when I was sad, etc. You're old toys remind you of your childhood... And I think it's very immature and selfish of OP to think of her daughters feelings, regardless of how old her daughter is (and she's even more immature by posting it on FML instead of trying to apologize to her daughter and trying to make up for it).

mrsquiggles6900 5

Gosh. Megan, just shut up already!! Your getting down voted no matter what you say!!

I can relate. I'm 16 and I have conversations with my stuffed animals. And no, I've never left my teddy bear in a park.