By BFH4Life - 30/11/2011 09:27 - United Kingdom

Today, my dad announced to the whole family that we will be having a vegetarian dinner this Christmas to make my step-mum happy. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 939
You deserved it 5 745

Same thing different taste

Top comments

amanda_say_whutt 9

My family tried doing that one time. But, I have a car, so when I went to eat a "salad" I ate fried chicken(:

Hubner24 11

I think what the op is trying to get across is not that vegetarian food is gross but the fact that their dad is making the whole family have a vegetarian meal instead of just the step-mom eating a vegetarian meal! I would cook my own meat and put it on my plate just to piss her off!

Comments

Honestly, how hard is it to go one meal without eating meat? We ran into the same criticism when we chose a vegetarian caterer for our wedding. Trust me, you won't die from going one meal without putting a hunk of dead animal in your mouth. And the "Just scrape it off," or "You can eat a salad/baked potato/some other side item," response gets old from the vegetarian/vegan perspective. People who are not vegetarian just don't understand what it's like to be told (by their own family, in this case) that you're not important enough to deserve having actual entrees to pick from.

I'd agree completely if it wasn't a Christmas dinner. If the post was about any other family meal it would be like "so what?" I'm veggie and I wouldn't expect everyone else to go without, I'd just like to be accommodated for.

Well, it's Christmas dinner. It's about being together with your family, not what you eat. My family never had a set Christmas dinner what does having vegetarian food ruin?

CeeCee_fml 16

If you have special food needs then you need to bring or make your own dish. Period. No one should have to "accommodate" for you. That's just like saying because one person is on a diet then we can't have any pies or cakes at Christmas dinner. There is nothing more annoying than having to cook on pens and needles because of an over zealous vegetarian/vegan.

Ceecee got it in one. Seriously, if you are a vegetarian, ******* good for you. If it makes you feel like a better person for not eating animals then fine. Enjoy your non-meat food and your vitamin B deficiency. Just don't shove your pretentious belief system on others.

Not all vegetarians have vitamin deficiencies. It's not a legend you really can have a healthy lifestyle on a vegetarian diet.

If you have to fortify your fake meat foods with B12, it was clearly a problem at some point. Also, a few scientists are actually voicing fears about soy's safety. Some are worried about reproductive problems. Last year, researchers at the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) found that mice given genistein right after birth developed irregular reproductive cycles and problems with ovulation and fertility. This year, they reported that genistein disrupted the development of ovaries. And this is just the tip of the iceberg. There are a lot more studies about how vegetarianism is not as healthy as some think. So, I'll stick with eating meat, thanks.

Idk if you've ever thought but a mouse isn't a human. And large quantities of geinstein is also found in many other plants, including coffee and fava beans. And people still guzzler Starbucks every day.

"Honestly, how hard is it to go one meal without eating meat? We ran into the same criticism when we chose a vegetarian caterer for our wedding." "People who are not vegetarian just don't understand what it's like to be told (by their own family, in this case) that you're not important enough to deserve having actual entrees to pick from." I think the guests at your wedding understand completely.

TL;DC version (as in too long; didn't comprehend) Meat is natural. It has what you need in it. That's my point. Like I said, if you want to be a vegetarian, do it. Be proud. Rock that shit. Just know that when you shove it in other people's faces, it sucks. I'm done.

I won't say that Tofurkey tastes like turkey, but I actually think it's pretty tasty in its own right. I roast mine with veggies and use the basting sauce to make myself some gravy.

perdix 29

What? No roast beast? Tofurkey rocks! You could probably afford a slimming veggie meal after slamming all the fruitcake, ya pig! Show up wearing leather pants and a fur coat.

Seriously? Not an FML. Get over yourself.

As a veggie I'd normally say that's fine, but I guess turkey and whatnot is the centrepiece of a Christmas dinner so it's unfair on everyone else. I don't see why she can't have all the vegetables, something instead of turkey and some veggie gravy while you all have meat.

Its not fine. Op is being forced into a lifestyle they'd rather not be into.

My family has a vegetarian holiday meal for every holiday since my sisters a vegetarian. You can have exactly the same foods as a regular holiday meal. Worthington brand makes soy turkey and ham logs. They taste almost exactly like the real thing. And no they aren't tofurkey.

So, you're saying we should eat poor meat substitutes that have been flavoured to taste like the meat we shouldn't eat?

No, but for those people that must have something that tastes like a dead animal they offer a good alternative. Plus the health benefits it has

You can OD on soybeans. Did you know that? I bet they don't teach that in the Vegan Academy.

To bad I'm not a vegan. But id rather id on soybeans than die of a heart attack from a hamburger.

Um...really? Either way you are dead. Personally, I would rather die after eating a delicious cheeseburger than some sort of fru-fru soybean salad causing me to shit myself to death. But, to each their own.

katt_is_here, What the hell do you have against soybeans?

I second that question! red meat causes cancer but that doesn't seem to bother you! P.s soya beans are NOT the only vegan form of protein, there is protein in EVERY type of bean, and in lentils (which are always at least 30% protein), and Maize also contains measurable amounts (popcorn kernels are 13.7% protein) so its EASY to get all your protein without even thinking about it (an adult female, depending on size and health, only needs between 23 and 46g a day). Your assumption that all vegans eat is soya beans is ridiculous.

Soybeans raped my family. Not really, but there is emerging research that shows it isn't as healthy as once thought. And I didn't say that all veggie heads eat it, but it is a staple in most vegetarian diets. Either way, if I had to chose fake meat or real, I'm going real every time.

Its really not though. As a vegetarian, i haven't eaten anything made of soya in a month, i had a fake burger earlier that was made of Quorn, which isn't soya, but past that i haven't had fake meat in ages. Two of my flatmates, one veggie and one not, use quorn mince instead of meat because its cheaper/healthier/cooks faster, and my old vegetarian flatmate doesn't eat fake meat at all, soya or non soya, as i know a lot of vegetarians dont. There are people who love Chinese food who regularly eat more soya (in tofu) than any vegetarian i know, so maybe start a campaign against takeaways? And even if we did eat a lot of soya beans, from a health point of view red meat will kill you first, or you know, heavy metal poisoning from fish, or any number of conditions caused by too much protein. Not to mention the money we save. Seriously.

leadman1989 15

Next thing you'll tell me there will be no drunken relatives trying to fight each other.

Maybe you could make some vegetarian meals and some normal ones too. That's very selfish of her to force her ways onto the rest of your family like that, especially on Christmas!