By Anonymous - 20/01/2013 05:01 - United States

Today, my boyfriend told me all about how his parents sat him down last night and had a 20 minute talk with him about how I'm the biggest mistake he'll ever make. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 063
You deserved it 3 969

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well, look, just talk to him for about 20 minutes about how you're not that bad. Unless you are.

Comments

Trisha_aus 15

36- then you haven't read a lot of Fmls.

If your parents hate your significant other, it usually means he/she is the one.

bobsux 5

OP, I can tell that your boyfriend's parents really like you.

JessalynVictoria 6

Been there, done that... And it sucks when the family of your significant other doesn't approve. My fiancé just ended up telling his mother and aunt like it or not we're in it for the long haul after countless negative comments about me. Me personally I don't really care if they like me or not. I'm not engaged to them. Though I would like to have less awkward visits in the future. The only advice I've got is just suck it up, stand tall, don't let their opinion of you affect you, and show them that they were wrong. People have been battling with their significant others families since well, forever. If he's worth it... Go for it, screw what anyone else says.

Well if both his parents sat him down for a serious talk about you, then maybe you do need to reevaluate the way you may come off to people.

I swear this is fro my brothers "girlfriend" Cece. And yes, she is this biggest mistake of his life. He was handed everything on a silver spoon and a full scholarship to his dream college and she tried to talk him out of going back to school and just living with her. Too bad her uncle is arrested for child pornography and her mom and her are psychopaths pushing 400 pounds and bipolar... Tsk tsk tsk

That's the strangest prelude to a marriage proposal I've ever heard of.

Been there. My mother in law did the same thing to my husband 4 months before our wedding. We've now been married almost 16 years and she is on her 3 divorce. Hopefully your boyfriend has a backbone and told them to take their advice and shove it. If not. Run. As fast as you can.

my2centsworth 15

If he truly cared about you, he would have asked his parents not to interfere in your relationship and he would not have repeated to you the hurtful things they said. No good will come of his making you aware of their distain.

crammer1 6

I have to agree. It just causes hurt and resentment. OP's boyfriend should have put a stop to it right away instead of conversations for 20 minutes about it. We all have times when we have friends or family that date significant others that we can't stand. I also know that you can't convince someone that the person they love is wrong for them. They have to find out for themselves.

As someone who is on the boyfriend's side, I tell my parents every. time. they. do. this. to stop interfering in my relationship, and that I am an adult (20). Their response? "You only think you're an adult, we love you and know what's best for you." I let my boyfriend know about this dynamic because it would not be fair to him otherwise. He would think I didn't care about him if I kept making BS excuses not to come over to his house when my parents are forcing me to stay home, and he would otherwise have no underlying explanation for the insecurity and anxiety that I feel on a weekly basis.