By gt - 23/09/2010 00:52 - Canada

Today, my boss fired me because I corrected him after he misspoke during a meeting. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 788
You deserved it 35 782

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Oh darling, no!! No no no no!! NEVER correct your boss! You're just ASKING for unemployment when you do that! If they're higher up than you, they're always right, even when they're wrong!

Comments

hmmm looks like if your a grammar Nazi this might happen to you so quit your grammar Nazi ways please.

robnunzi 0

just talk shot about them after never to their face in front of other ppl duh

sourgirl101 28

Did the boss say "Correct me if I'm wrong...."? No? Then zip it.

perdix 29

You just learned a hard lesson about corporate life. When you walk into the office, you leave your freedom of speech at the door, because you are going into a profit-making dictatorship and leaving the democracy of the outside world. Making a boss look bad in front of the rest of the company will get you fired, but it sure is fun! I had a boss who made an engineering equation that was just insane. It was not just an error -- the reasoning behind it showed incompetence. I fixed it and gleefully told everyone. I got canned, but it was worth it!

It's often not just a matter of whether you correct your boss, but how you go about doing it. Consider the soothsayers who read the sultan's fortune: The first soothsayer said: "I see misfortune in your future. All your relatives will drop dead before you". The sultan got angry and ordered the soothsayer beheaded. Then he called for another soothsayer. The second one said: "God has blessed you with long life. You shall outlive even your youngest relative." The sultan was pleased with the fortune and rewarded the second soothsayer. Moral: How a message is delivered can make a big difference. When it comes to correcting your boss, you need to have a good idea of your boss' personality. An enlightened boss who understands that he makes mistakes can appreciate a polite correction. An insecure boss afraid of being made to look like a fool in public needs to be handled with finesse. If the error isn't important, point it out after the meeting if at all. If it is important, try whispering or writing it down.

Who are you to judge whether he misspoke or not? Unless your job title is Chief Corrector or something just stfu. He's your boss.

this is possibly what happened: (Save the Ducks charity meeting) boss: we must save these dicks! OP: sir, don't you mean ducks? boss: yes, thank you. YOU'RE FIRED!