By gt - 23/09/2010 00:52 - Canada

Today, my boss fired me because I corrected him after he misspoke during a meeting. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 788
You deserved it 35 782

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Oh darling, no!! No no no no!! NEVER correct your boss! You're just ASKING for unemployment when you do that! If they're higher up than you, they're always right, even when they're wrong!

Comments

atticuz 2

You are just mad and bad, and think your argument is valid. I win, okay.

btw CarmeloAnthony: I like ur pic.. it's such a tease ;)

number 23 what is with you and saying darling?!?!!?!

OP never said his boss mispronounced anything, all that is said is that he corrected his boss! Maybe his boss got a very important fact wrong! "And this year, we expect our stock worth to plummet by $7,500." "Well, no sir, we expect it to increase that much over the next few months." See the difference, folks?

Kanvis78 0

"How dare you undermine my authori-ty, you're fired" :)

In that case, OP has no room to talk, as [s]he used "misspoke" incorrectly. To misspeak means to mispronounce or misuse a word. Examples of the latter would be to use a double negative, ie "irregardless", "can't hardly wait", or saying something other than what you mean, ie "I could care less about your excuses." I can't think of a situation where correcting such a mistake would be wise, since everyone would likely know what the boss meant to say. Doing so to a superior in that setting would almost inevitably come off as arrogant, nit-picky smartassery.

Actually, scratch that. saint_jimmy is right in his reply a few comments down.

It's all right to correct your boss. In private..

hghiPigh 0

there is nothing more aggrivating than a dumbass who tries to act smart. just stfu... what did u think your correction was going to accomplish? you definitely deserved what you got. hope you never get hired by anyone for the rest of your life.

The ****? You're a nutcase. I could understand clicking YDI if he corrected who or whom, but if the boss got a fact wrong or misrepresented something then OP was completely right to correct him. So maybe the correction accomplished something important, like, say making a sale because the boss misrepresented a fact and their product seemed worse because of it. Oh, and I couldn't resist: *There, *aggravating, *Just, *you, *You, *Hope

ShadyFTW1 0

40 of course you are going to sympathize with the OP, you're a grammar Nazi. Shut the hell up.

47: Did you read any of what Jimmy said, aside from the corrections? It's an entirely valid point.

#40 is spot on. Sometimes it's important to speak up. There have been several instances in aviation where planes have crashed because a senior crew member made a critical error and the junior person was too afraid to speak up. People actually have to be taught how to do it. The same approach has been adopted in medicine where even the most junior person in the room is encouraged to speak up if they think something is wrong.

40: i wholly agree with your statement. however, i do think, in addition to that, that tact must be exercised. there really is a time and a place for everything. if it is crucial knowledge and it is being misrepresented, then yes, it should be pointed out, but tactfully. he *is* your boss, and he has authority over you. if op's all like, "um, sorry, you're wrong," then i would wanna slap the taste outta his bitch-ass mouth for making me look like a dunce. and then fire him. but even then, since he can fire you and all, you'd still be biting the bullet on this. |the kid|

I hate the people on here who said "you deserved it for correcting your boss" when they don't even know the full story. I correct my boss in meetings all the time, because like most bosses around the world he doesn't know the full in-and-outs of you or your colleagues jobs since they would most likely never have had to do it themselves. If they were discussing a new procedure or ways to fix a problem, there would be no point in correcting your boss AFTER the meeting when the other people who attended has received incorrect information, you should be able to correct him so all the information that is shared is accurate. If you were in the UK, you could have taken your boss to court for Unfair Dismissal.

You don't know the FULL story either so how can you say FYL? Obviously his boss & your boss are not the same.

Bees_fml 0

It depends on the context... So i can't decide FYL or YDI.