By fmlsrsly - 25/03/2009 16:43 - United States

Today, I went to the doctor to find out why I've been feeling so sick the past several weeks. Turns out, I'm severely allergic to the cat of my girlfriend of two years. I told her "It's me or the cat." She chose the cat. FML
I agree, your life sucks 69 438
You deserved it 30 264

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That was a bit selfish of you. There are such things as allergy medicine. To some people, their pets are like their children. And for you to make such an ultimatum is an asshole move. Good job.

jesslackszazz 0

To be honest, i'd choose the cat as well.

Comments

uhnonnuhmus 0

I'd choose my cat over you any day. Then again, I'd choose my cat over any human. You needed to find a better solution than giving her such an ultimatum. I've had my cat for ten years and she's practically like a child to me. (I said like a child, not a child substitute.) I'd be heartbroken if I were to be told that I needed to get rid of her for any reason. For one thing, the idea of having to take her to the Humane Society is scary. While a lot of the people who have commented before have compassion levels that are roughly equivalent to a kumquat, don't forget that most shelters euthanize their animals if they can't be adopted. If your girlfriend's cat was older, it would've been considered a "less desirable" pet by those adopting (who want kittens), thus making euthanasia an almost certain fate. While euthanasia is also an option for pets that are very sick, there's a difference between abandoning a cat to most likely die and alleviating its pain from an illness. At least with the latter, the cat was well-taken care of beforehand. (I certainly don't think that the Humane Society can compare to anyone's home in terms of quality of care for a cat OR a dog.) It's actually a logical choice to make. While humans are supposedly more important than cats (I disagree, but whatever), a relationship with a human is more complicated. Cats expect maybe two or three things out of you: food, a clean litter box, and a lap every so often. Humans have needs and ask for things that are far more difficult to give. The relationship is therefore harder to sustain, so if your girlfriend is risk-averse, the cat looks to be the more stable relationship. While your relationship could have ended for other reasons a few weeks later, the cat would still be there.

spikah 0

You're a dick! Pets can be like family - all you are is a boyfriend that obviously wasn't serious since you dumped her over a problem that has solutions - like Allegra and allergy eye drops. (Think it's hard - I'm allergic to a cat I rescued. I've had him for 6 years - I deal with it. All I have to do is do a bit more hair removal tricks, and be in a different room for the majority of the day - it's a cat... they like being alone.) ... To make someone you "apparently" care about have to choose like that - you deserved this one hardcore.

AntiChrist7 0

it means it wasn't serious. should have dumped here yourself. YDI

RLJJ 0

The bitch sure doesn't deserve you... That's a good thing you realize it now.

cat provides better satisfaction than you. In every aspect. /fail

never heard of antihistamines?? Allergies are totally controllable.

Bottom line is you suck and the cat must be awesome. Never try to alter someone else's life like that for your benefit.

You NEVER make a woman choose between a man and her pet.