By fmlsrsly - 25/03/2009 16:43 - United States

Today, I went to the doctor to find out why I've been feeling so sick the past several weeks. Turns out, I'm severely allergic to the cat of my girlfriend of two years. I told her "It's me or the cat." She chose the cat. FML
I agree, your life sucks 69 438
You deserved it 30 264

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That was a bit selfish of you. There are such things as allergy medicine. To some people, their pets are like their children. And for you to make such an ultimatum is an asshole move. Good job.

jesslackszazz 0

To be honest, i'd choose the cat as well.

Comments

gook_killer 0

For all those people who are saying the gf was messed up because she chose a cat are just cat haters. If it was her dog yall woulda shutup. Cats are just as important and should be loved like dogs. They too can be a man's bestfriend. I hate people who cast cats as just an animal or believe dogs should be more loved then cats. Humans are animals too!

Did you ever go and visit your girlfriend and you didn't notice for two years that you were allergic? You are very selfish, I would have done the same, you could take medicine or something instead to save the relationship.

Get allergy medicine? Idiot. I'd choose the cat, too. Especially if the cat came first.

abbydoll1414 0

Well, she's probably had the cat a lot longer. And it's kinda dick to give her an ultimatum, you could have at least said it nicer.

curious_missy 1

id chose the cat too!!! I love cats!!!! and men...so I'd just keep you on the side lol

Depends on how severe the allergy is. I had an ex who was allergic to cat hair, and it sufficed to keep the cats out of the room and vacuum both the carpet and my bed they liked to lie on right before he came to my house, his allergy wasn't that bad. But some allergies are really so severe that it wouldn't have worked out even with meds. And finding a new home for a cat sometimes isn't easy, and it's perfectly understandable she didn't want to take her cat to the animal shelter. Does she live with her family? If there were family pets, perhaps it wasn't entirely her own choice? If you really tried to compromise and stuff and just ran out of characters to describe it the way it was - that sucks. Poor you. But if you gave her an ultimatum like that, it's your own fault. Sorry but it doesn't work that way. Okay, granted, it may REALLY be that you can't keep dating her if she keeps the cat - but you still don't say "your cat or me" but communicate this in a slightly more diplomatic way. If you failed to do that, you deserve it.

It's your own fault. You deserved that. I would always choose an animal over a boyfriend. They are innocent and can't necessarily take care of themselves especially if they've been kept in captive all their lives. They have medications for allergies. I should know as my roommate was allergic and she told me it was perfectly fine if I got a cat. You really should have thought that one out better and you should have been willing to find a way to make it work if you really cared about your ex at all.

#20 and #70 are both right. elaine got dumped for some guy's cats.

i think you were being selfish. pets are like children, you can't just tell someone "get rid of it". there were much better ways of handling this situation; i would suggest allergy medicine, and if that doesn't work, then i guess you just couldn't spend lots of time in my house. The cat stays whether you are in my life or not. i'd have dropped you for making such an ultimatum in the first place!