By JennaMarie - 26/07/2009 15:16 - United States

Today, I was in the car with my husband complaining about the way I look. His response, "Babe, if I cared about the way you looked I wouldnt have married you." FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 387
You deserved it 17 779

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Thisnametaken 0

Maybe he was trying to tell you he loved you the way you are. Men aren't always great with words, y'know.

Dashiell 0

Hahaha, aw, what a sweetie!

Comments

riseandshine_fml 0

YDI it for complaining, but I seriously doubt he was trying to insult you. If he had said that he only liked you for your looks, you would've probably flipped a bitch about how superficial he was. You have a great personality/other good features, so get over it.

cpatrick820 3

If a girl fishes for compliments with me with a self-loathing insult (ie, God, I'm so fat!) and a quick glance at me for a response, I say "Then go on a diet" and walk away. Fishing is one excellent way to push people away...shows insecurity and a neediness that is very unattractive.

FHL for having a wife who doesn't appreciate when he's trying to be sweet. He obviously didn't mean it the way it came out, give the guy a break for christ's sake. Jeez, he obviously loves you for you, so why the hell is this an FML when most girls would kill for a guy to like them for who they are? Put on your big girl panties and suck it up.

I'm 100% sure he didn't mean what you think he meant.

Maybe he was joking, but he if he wasn't, that's not cool. Sure, fishing for compliments illustrates that she is needy and insecure, but he's the one who married her. He either knew that she was like that going into the marriage, or was too stupid to not get to know her before they got married. Either way, he should try to help build her up, not tear her down. If he doesn't want to have to do that then he shouldn't have married her.

Yeah, way to misinterpret the fact that he loves you for you and not your looks. This is why guys act like jerks, because when we're sweet we get shit on whenever we try.

IllegalLight 0

It seems like what the husband is saying is that she IS in fact ugly or unattractive. Because he is speaking hypothetically that IF he did care about her looks, then he would NOT have married her. So he married her for her beautiful [?] personality and not her looks, because obviously she doesn't have them. Girls who get annoyed when other girls fish for compliments are not really all that self-confident either. They see other people's weaknesses and revel in marking them as negative only so they feel that they don't do "that stupid thing" or whatever. What other people do is their business. Unless it negatively interferes with your life, then you should keep your opinion to yourself. Your distaste is UNWELCOME.

letitbe56 0

Eh, your psychoanalysis is off. My primary reason for disliking it when other girls complain about their appearance is because I get tired of having to feel responsible for boosting their self-esteem. Particularly because it tends to be the same problem over and over. "I hate my nose! I hate my nose! I hate my nose!" STFU, your nose is fine. Plus, I resent the implication that supposedly confident women are really just insecure, catty shrews. It is possible to be a confident woman, y'know, and confidence really does decrease the need for constant validation.

"Today I complained about something and my husband said it's not a bit deal. FML" or "Today I learned that love is blind and that all our bodies break down and generally decline until that inevitable day that on which we die. FML"

deaditegirl 0

YDI for fishing for compliments. Also, 91 probably has it right.

whatever he was just trying to be nice you should try being less shallow in the first place,especially if you don't want to get an answer that you might not like