By JennaMarie - 26/07/2009 15:16 - United States

Today, I was in the car with my husband complaining about the way I look. His response, "Babe, if I cared about the way you looked I wouldnt have married you." FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 387
You deserved it 17 779

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Thisnametaken 0

Maybe he was trying to tell you he loved you the way you are. Men aren't always great with words, y'know.

Dashiell 0

Hahaha, aw, what a sweetie!

Comments

anna_bella4657 0

It's your fault for trying to get him to say that you're pretty and what not. Stop seeking attention.

Ouch, wrong wording on his part. What he meant to say was that he is not some shallow asshole and didn't marry you because of you having the perfect look but because you have a great personality along with being pretty.

You're ******* lucky to even be married to a good guy. FHL for having a bitchy wife, and YDI for fishing for compliments.

Mr_Horrible 0

YDI for fishing for a compliment. Don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the honest answer - and then having the nerve to get upset at HIM for his answer. I hate that shit. Besides, it looks like he actually was trying to pay you a compliment that you've got other things going for you other than looks. Maybe he's a Skatalites fan and likes that song If You Wanna Be Happy For the Rest of Your Life....

But the story isn't reversed gender. For you to assume they would react in such a way, you make yourself just as bad as the people you accuse them of becoming. And I don't necessarily agree that we would jump to insult the OP if the gender situation was reversed. I think the OP's partner messed up his words either way you look at it.

Ishari 0

Actually, I think the OP would still be blamed even if the genders were reversed. I do respect what you are saying, and I certainly agree that the OP's husband should have phrased that better. But many of the responses above seem to consent to the adage that women are whiny bitches. Assuming (ah, such a dangerous word) that those commentors didn't need this particular experience to come to that conclusion, I have to agree that either way the woman in the situation would have been slandered. And now that we've mentioned the "tone" of this site and some of the "medieval" ways of thinking, that brings up something else entirely. To be honest, it seems to me that either way, people on this site enjoy being able to slander other people simply because at the end of the day they can still remain anonymous. I'm not just talking about this FML, but all of them in general. Oftentimes people don't even try to understand one another. I like to think it's maybe because they're too young or inexperienced to be able to think past themselves, but who knows. Though I guess that's changing the subject.