By firedofbirthday - 14/02/2010 00:29 - France

Today, I was fired. Why? Because I called in sick on my daughter's birthday, even though you cannot "abandon work for personal affairs". My boss's favorite employee got to skip work on his wife's birthday two weeks ago. He still works here. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 248
You deserved it 6 930

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Gotta love favoritism wherever you go. Looks like you didn't kiss enough ass, OP. Happy birthday to your daughter though! At least she has a parent willing to make sacrifices on her special day.

how did he know it was your daughters birthday if you called in sick. only way i could figure is you told him or someone else. if you knew it was against the rules and you lied (hey not judging we all do it) then i sayh ydi for haveing told someone

Comments

dynky 3

I'm so sick of this attitude from parents. Just because you have kids doesn't mean you get to skive off every time they have a birthday/snow day/sniffle. You skipped work, you got fired: that seems like a fair deal to me.

xhalighx 0

Wow. Your attitude is precisely why kids nowadays are so screwed up. I hate kids, as I've said on another post, which is exactly why I won't have any. However, that doesn't mean I don't believe that you should be active in your kids' lives. Please, don't reproduce.

__no_one__ 0

Doesn't mean you can't be active in your kids' lives and be responsible at the same time. OP knew about his child's birthday all year. They could have arranged for something way earlier. Instead, they decide to call in sick at the last minute, leaving their boss with the problem that they are one staff member short and either have to make do with too few workers or call someone on their day off and have them come in. I do think that's irresponsible, yes. If the kid had a serious accident or came down with something bad, I would probably be more understanding since that's an emergency you can't really foresee, but OP should have thought about this earlier. Now if OP did ask for the day off and their boss didn't want to grant it for whatever reasons, calling in sick is just ... childish. It's like "I don't get what I want so I'll just take it anyway". If you ask for days off early enough, and it's not during a general vacation ban, I don't see why you shouldn't be granted your time off. My parents were indeed active in my lives. I don't think any of them ever called in sick to work to take me somewhere or to spend time with me. They tried to get time off, yes. If it wasn't possible, I had to accept this. I was explained why it wasn't possible, yes. And I don't think it harmed me. In fact, I learned that you don't call in sick when you're not. OP should also reflect on what lessons his behavior teaches to their daughter.

Reality_bites 14

@ xhalighx Just because you're working on your kids birthday doesn't mean that you're going to screw the kids up. I don't remember ever having my parents stay home on my birthday unless it was a weekend - if I was having a party or something it always had to wait till the weekend - and I don't think I'm messed up because of it. I understood that they had to work, it's part of being a responsible parent - being able to provide for your kids all year round, not just one day. @ OP Yes it's understandable why you wanted time off, but why did you have to lie? Surely if you went to your boss far enough in advance then you might have been able to work something out? As many people have pointed out. If you really could've have organised something then there's always the weekend - or do you not get any of that off? I don't get people who complain that they paid for breaking a rule that they knew about. If you don't want to get in trouble or fired or whatever then just don't break the rules.

#30 You need to stfu if you think people with kids are the only ones that call out. You're damn right that I take off whenever my kids get sick but why I take off is none of your business. I have a coworker with an auto-immune disease and I don't bitch whenever she's out. Ditto my coworker with the terminally ill father. Sick days are for taking care of the illness of yourself or a loved one.

As a mom, if your kid is really sick, then taking off is justified. If it's sniffles they can go to school- if it gets worse, the nurse will call. It's harsh but if you have to work, you work. Calling in sick for their birthday is stupid. Did they get to take off from school too? They can survive not seeing you until 5 or 6 on their birthday. If you want to plan something- wait for the weekend, they'll survive.

I bet you complain when the boss comes in late, too. At your next job try being a valued employee so the boss will owe you some and not mind if you call in sick... or you know... actually request time off in advance.

xhalighx 0

#25 Precisely what I meant. There are times when lying is appropriate. Such as I moved 5 hours away from my parents and, on my last day at home, my dad found out at the last minute that he had the night off so we could go to dinner together. I was scheduled to work. I called in sick with a migraine. FYL, OP.

Your whaambulance bills must be high. Of course the boss's favorite employee still works there. That's the basic meaning of favorite.

I don't think it's justified. This isn't some emergency that popped out of no where. He should've scheduled his daughter's day off in advance. And since the OP is complaining that "well... if someone else did it why can't I?" I think it's safe to say this isn't the first time he's abused the policy...

Give him a handsy (Hand job) maybe he would give your job back.XD

hijueputa 0

@ snickerdoodles, you are just an immature little girl, you must be a spoiled little brat. Grow up, get a real job, develop some responsibilities, maybe then you will understand why the op did lie. And you say that you wouldn't complain? little girl, this site is all about complaining, if you don't like the way the ops complain and bitch about their lives then gtf out, nobody is forcing you to read the FMLs. Oh, in case you want to correct my spelling or grammar or critize my ideas: FU!!!! Get a life.

xhalighx 0

#40 O.O That was quite harsh.