By firedofbirthday - 14/02/2010 00:29 - France

Today, I was fired. Why? Because I called in sick on my daughter's birthday, even though you cannot "abandon work for personal affairs". My boss's favorite employee got to skip work on his wife's birthday two weeks ago. He still works here. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 248
You deserved it 6 930

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Gotta love favoritism wherever you go. Looks like you didn't kiss enough ass, OP. Happy birthday to your daughter though! At least she has a parent willing to make sacrifices on her special day.

how did he know it was your daughters birthday if you called in sick. only way i could figure is you told him or someone else. if you knew it was against the rules and you lied (hey not judging we all do it) then i sayh ydi for haveing told someone

Comments

The OP is pretty much saying... "I came in three hours late to work and got fired" or "I stole money from my job and got fired" and is now complaining about it. Yeah, people lie at their jobs... but if you get caught or called out for screwing up... it's your own damn fault.

xhalighx 0

Corme Agreed. Which is why this is a special blend of FYL and YDI. I feel no empathy for the colleague ploy, but, on the daughter's birthday end, as I stated in the above story, I understand.

ElMundio87 0

why didn't you book the day off months in advance? it's not like the date of her birthday is gonna change

Right, first of all OP that sucks.. Second, those of you who think that OP deserved it, need to find their heart. I mean her daughters birthday. Show some love around here. I'd do the same thing, and I'm sure you would too.

I have never worked on my kids' or my birthdays. I have also never called out sick on those days. They are the same date every year; it's not that difficult to arrange leave if you give enough advance notice.

The reason he probably did it is because sick days typically dont roll over and pto does. Plus, pto can be sold back at end of employment. It's common in the work force. Have any of you ever worked?!?

I understand the reasoning but it doesn't make it right. If you lie in an effort to beat the system, what do you expect to happen when you get caught? Your employer doesn't owe you sick time; many jobs only pay you for the hours you actually work. OP tried to steal from the company and is whining because he didn't get away with it.

Since when does -anyone's- birthday warrant a day off? If you don't get the day off for your own birthday, what makes you think you'd get it for a relative's? Yes, sure, double standards suck, but that's life. You should've known better, or scheduled this earlier.

YDI for calling in sick when you're not actually sick. You should just have planned a day off. It's not like you couldn't know beforehand when her birthdat would be.

Why do they even offer sick days then? Being sick would fit their broad definition of a "personal affair."