By firedofbirthday - 14/02/2010 00:29 - France

Today, I was fired. Why? Because I called in sick on my daughter's birthday, even though you cannot "abandon work for personal affairs". My boss's favorite employee got to skip work on his wife's birthday two weeks ago. He still works here. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 248
You deserved it 6 930

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Gotta love favoritism wherever you go. Looks like you didn't kiss enough ass, OP. Happy birthday to your daughter though! At least she has a parent willing to make sacrifices on her special day.

how did he know it was your daughters birthday if you called in sick. only way i could figure is you told him or someone else. if you knew it was against the rules and you lied (hey not judging we all do it) then i sayh ydi for haveing told someone

Comments

Neco_Montana 0

you just mad bcuz no1 wants to gangbang you... you look like Megan from ''Family Guy''

AlanDente 0

I love how many little kiddies there are commenting on this with things like 'YDI, you shouldn't take sick days off work, you shouldn't do this, you shouldn't do that...' the hell do you know about a working life and having to run a family if you're anything, say, under 18 years old? Wait until you're actually living all this, then start typing. Or even better, go and do your homework. Also, what is it with America and your boss being able to treat you like crap? I live in the UK and if you have a full time contract it's actually pretty tough to get fired. I'd be surprised to hear of someone getting fired for faking a sick day in this country. You'd probably just get a warning. In France, workers have even more sway over workplace conditions etc. Socialism, despite what Fox might tell you = not as bad as you might think...!

_sourpatchkid 0

thank you! I'm Canadian and I've been wondering the same thing. It's very hard to get fired for something like that here. You really have to be a repeat offender and usually, unless it's serious, and there has to be documentation that it's a repeat problem (signed written warnings). Even then, if you're a competent employee they're unlikely to fire you, since it costs them so much to hire someone new. It's not even clear to me what Americans celebrate on Labor Day. Despite unionization, they're still very much at the mercy of their employers, and labor rights are decreasing dangerously. Race to the bottom?

Lying to get out of work for a child's birthday is a highly irresponsible way to run a family. You are breaching your employee contract and hence jepordising your job, and family security. This isn't about the boss being unfair, or cruel, this is about someone who did not fulfill their obligations in favour of something that could have been planned a different day, or you know, booked off in advance. Work can be hard, and a strain on family life, but bitching about something you did wrong will get no where in life.

AlanDente 0

It depends on what you deem 'responsible' behaviour. Personally, I think if it's a big enough deal for you (like a very special occasion) then it's ok to lie occasionally. Besides, you get 80 years to live and then you die. No one's going to write the number of sick days you took on your gravestone are they? And it'll be kind of tough to attend loved-ones special events once you're 6 feet under... NB: I think you are right on one thing- in the US by lying you would breach your contract, threaten family security etc. etc. but it's worth bearing in mind that there are other countries in this World where we have things like social security, benefits, income support and nationalised health care to avoid situations in which people lose their jobs (whether through their own fault or not) and then basically are allowed to fall off the bottom of the ladder, can't pay health costs, can't feed your family, get into a spiral of debt etc. Land of the free? I think I'll stick with what I got, thanks :)

From the UK myself. And benefits is no way of life, trust me! And that's just based on my experience of just me. It also makes me more thankful for the job that took me so long to get, and I definitely wouldn't risk it for something that I planned poorly, or at least if I did I'd know it was my fault. I have financial obligations and I'm young and childless! But in a family you have to think things through for the good of everyone short term and long term. So yeah. Don't lie if still want your job, and definitely don't complain if you get caught out!

#130 I'm with ya. Most workplaces, where I live anyway, have a 'probation period' usually 3-6 months. In this time they can decide whether or not you're a good employee and fire you for basically anything. After this time its very difficult to get fired.

youthink_fml 0

You knew the rules and broke them. YDI. You called in sick and everyone knew you weren't sick. Who cares what his "favorite" employee did? If you know it's his favorite employee, what makes you think you think you can get away with breaking the same rules? Life's not fair. As an adult, you should know that. You didn't even say he called in "sick". Maybe he got permission to take the day off.

NIRVANAfan123 0
loveurlifeJK 5

@122 I'd gangbang her. I don't know how I'd do it, but I'd find a way. ;)

#33 calling in sick cause your dad having the night off so you can go out to dinner is NOT justified. I've always worked on my birthdays, my kids, my anniversary.

purplemnm 9

you talking about the right person?

ozymandias_fml 0

Did he, you know, take time off, and not call in sick, which is lying to your boss in order to abandon your work responsibilities?

Stop bitchin and find a new job pus!:)

It was your boss' favorite employee, they usually have at least one, just like teachers, and parents, and yeah... You should have expected that.