By Anonymous - 13/05/2017 02:00

Today, while on vacation, I got fired for not working a shift I wasn't scheduled for. Even after texting my boss a copy of my vacation approval letter, she still fired me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 7 029
You deserved it 335

Same thing different taste

Top comments

UOFreak07 8

Wrongful termination lawsuit...

Druu 53

Whether you have a case depends on what state you work in, and the respective employment laws of that state. (If you're not in the States, disregard this comment.) Regardless of the actual laws, you can take a gamble on whether your boss is aware of the laws. Threaten a lawsuit. The workplace environment doesn't sound ideal and you may not want to return, but maybe you can finagle a severance payment out of it.

Comments

UOFreak07 8

Wrongful termination lawsuit...

Can't actually happen unless we're now living in the 1960's. I can't remember stepping into a time machine?

You can't just fire people for nonsensical shit anymore. Keep your "wut" to yourself you cretin.

Kimberley Michelle Whitley 16

If they live in an At-Will work state, the person can be fired for any reason.

you musta been an annoyin employee she jus wanted to fire you for somethin ??

Actually, it can happen in the U.S. if you are a probationary or at will employee.

Not really. The OP was fired for cause (not working a supposedly assigned shift) and if the cause is faulty, that's grounds for a lawsuit.

Druu 53

Whether you have a case depends on what state you work in, and the respective employment laws of that state. (If you're not in the States, disregard this comment.) Regardless of the actual laws, you can take a gamble on whether your boss is aware of the laws. Threaten a lawsuit. The workplace environment doesn't sound ideal and you may not want to return, but maybe you can finagle a severance payment out of it.

That's good to know, thank you. In England you can't just fire people when you feel like it. We don't really do "lawsuits" either. Was wondering what all of the comments were about and why mine was getting severely down-voted. Now I understand a little bit more about America :)

Contact your state department of labor to see if you qualify for unemployment insurance. Also let them know of the situation and see if there is anything you can do about it. Good luck!

I hope you filed a complaint against her. Ridiculous woman.

Does your boss have a boss? Then take it up with that one. There are many out there that **** up their work and rather fire a scape goat to cover it up. Exposing them to the higher up won't always get your job back but it might get your former boss in a shit of trouble.