By squeak - 12/09/2011 13:52 - United Kingdom

Today, I thought my hamster might be lonely, so I went to the pet shop and bought a new one to keep him company. The new hamster killed the old one. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 124
You deserved it 13 981

Same thing different taste

Top comments

One time I brought a new girl home to keep the old one company. She didn't like it so much either :/

It's uncommon knowledge that hamsters are territorial.

Comments

max13_fml 8

animals like there own cage too themself unless they have been together since they were born or very young in age.... so you basically killed your hamster, way too go dumb ass **** your life

Hamsters are not social creatures. They like to live alone. If you had bothered to find out anything about your pet you would know that. I feel bad for your poor hamster having a negligent owner.

You're lucky he only killed it and nothing else.

Dear OP, There's a valuable lesson about anthropomorphizing animals here. As in... don't. I cite your applying the human-variety concept of loneliness to a rodent that's *only* perception of companionship is either mating, fleeing to avoid being companionship to a predator's stomach, orrrrrrrr territorial dominance through violence. YDI. Hamster didn't.

You're an idiot. Standardhamsters are very solitary and territorial - occasionally 2 may coexist in a large cage, but at around 12 weeks they'll usually start fighting. Even dwarfs have a habit of fighting, robos are the most social.

josiebella 1

Did you not know hamsters are solitary animals. Maybe you should get a book or look up hamsters online. Major pet stores are web resources.

That happened to me. I cried so much because the new was was nicer and a baby.

rainydayz133 6

I have a hamster and am very careful not to keep her around other ones. Be careful, they may be calm in a petshop, but together in their own cage, they are very territorial.

rainydayz133 6

Yea, I totally agree, before I got my hamster I did tons of research so that I could keep her safe and understand a little more about hamsters.