By Pox - 04/02/2011 03:19 - United States

Today, I got chickenpox. I'm 28 and having chickenpox as an adult is excruciatingly painful. When I told my boss I wasn't going to be at work today because of chickenpox he replied, "That's the worst excuse I've ever heard. Adults don't get chickenpox." He then fired me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 503
You deserved it 2 991

Same thing different taste

Top comments

you should have taken a picture and sent it to him or something.

Comments

takemewithy0u 0

report him to the department of labor.

get a copy from the doctors office and sue his butt! that's just not right!

Steve95401 49

I was 29 when I had chicken pox and it was miserable, so I understand what OP is going through. However, it depends on the labor laws in OP's home state (Illinois) about his job. Many states have "at-will" employment laws where an employee can be terminated without cause. The employer could simply say that OP wasn't doing the job well enough and OP is out of luck.

perdix 29

Even in "at-will" work states, you can still file wrongful termination suits. Your example of saying the OP wasn't doing the job well enough IS a cause, so that would have to be documented. The cause in this case is lying about the chickenpox, so if the OP can prove he really has the disease, his wrongful termination suit can proceed. He should end up winning back pay and then some, his job back and getting his boss fired or, at least, reprimanded. If you're a smart boss in an "at-will" work state, you'll fire people without cause so they have nothing to contest.

Oh dumb people, Where would the world be without you.

well have your boss write up a termination notice and when it says "lying about some sort of infection" you have a doctor back your claim, and sue the piss out of him.

pfcstuck 2

YDI for not getting the shot, but you still should go to your bosses' office and contaminate it so he'll get it also. (if he hasn't already had them, that is)

You can get chicken pox as an adult after having the shot when you are younger. It's a big problem because women who are pregnant may mistakenly think they are immune due to having the shot, when in actuality their immunity has worn off. Chicken pox while pregnant is very dangerous.

Go to your job and shake hands with that idiot and give him a big hug.

lawsuits cost money. at less cost, op was just fired for something out of his control. get documentation of the illness and go file for unemployment, as well as cobra thru your job if you have health insurance (cobra after termination is not too expensive comparitively). the boss may fight it but you don't need a lawyer for unemployment fight- you will at least have some money this way to get you thru your illness and time to find a new job. boss is clearly an idiot.

And rub your naked, pocked body all over his office chair.