By Pox - 04/02/2011 03:19 - United States

Today, I got chickenpox. I'm 28 and having chickenpox as an adult is excruciatingly painful. When I told my boss I wasn't going to be at work today because of chickenpox he replied, "That's the worst excuse I've ever heard. Adults don't get chickenpox." He then fired me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 504
You deserved it 2 991

Same thing different taste

Top comments

you should have taken a picture and sent it to him or something.

Comments

nachtfee 9

Yes, suing is totally a better response than just getting a doctor's note...

Unfair dismissal! Sit back and think about the money you will get from the prick ;)

Your boss is clearly unaware of the fact that one can get chickenpox as an adult if one never had it as a child.

gijoyincali 0

I have two words for you: Wrongful Termination. Oh wait, I just thought of six more words: Discrimination based upon a medical condition. I'd look into either action if you aren't given your job back.

Very much this. There's also the very real possibility that his boss was wanting to find reason to fire him anyway, and this provided the excuse, hence the wilful stupidity. However it still falls under the two things listed above. Get a doctor's note, get a lawyer, sue. I doubt you'd get your job back, but it's likely you'd either get an out of court settlement equivalent to or greater than the wages that would have been paid for the time you were ill and in court, or a greater amount if the boss' company doesn't want to admit fault.

get a lawyer if you live in a right to work state. but I'd worry more about adult chicken pox potentially making you sterile.